We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cigarettes

Rigaud, Canada
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
cigarettes

If I buy a carton of cigarettes duty free in Canada before arriving in Barbados, will I have to pay duty.

Thanks

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cigarettes

Yes if you get caught.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cigarettes

Big time---------------and they are looking for them !

Morrisburg, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: cigarettes

how much is the duty

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cigarettes

When this law first came in, and no one knew about it, I brought 200 cigs for a friend and they tried to charge me more duty than the price I'd paid in DF. Don't know what they do though.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cigarettes

I can't find the post now but I recall seeing one that said what it was .... Think it had the effect of doubling the price of a carton of 200 brought in from the UK? Not certain about that though sorry.

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
458 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cigarettes

Do many people take their chances?

I'm going to try my luck in May ;)

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cigarettes

Up to you of course! If you just buy them in Barbados a pack of 20 will cost you around 13 BBD so cheap compared to the UK.

Basingstoke...
Level Contributor
72 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cigarettes

Hello

Jumping on the back of this post, please could anyone advise if menthol cigarettes are available/easy to find in Barbados?

Thanks v much

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,327 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cigarettes

ChimpyT

Yes, you can buy Marlboro Menthols at about 13 or 14 BDS$ per 20.

They sell them in Supercentre but not always available at gas station shops.

Kitchener
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: cigarettes

Buttsthebuster,

We just returned after a week & I can assure you, they charge you. We didn't hide it from them, didn't want to take the chance. I really don't think the lady we had, had a clue as to how much to charge us.When she did give me an amount I said no thanks, hang onto them & give me a receipt, will pick them up on my way back. I would suggest you just pick them up when you arrive as long as you remember to hit the DF at the airport.

We thought we would be able to get them at the DF shop in Bridgetown, but found out that NOPE, if you are staying on the Island, they send them to the airport for you to pick up there. Beautiful Island, but the dumbest DF rules on cig's.

The Shopper