We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anywhere near airport to watch planes land/take off

spacecadet74
Level Contributor
154 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Anywhere near airport to watch planes land/take off

Strange question for everyone. I have a plane mad 6 year old (& a 2 year old that's getting that way too!) who really wants to go back to the Concorde Experience when we come back to BIM. As much as I don't mind seeing Concorde (again), I've got a feeling that the main reason he wants to go back is to visit the viewing gallery & watch the planes come & go.

Last time we visited, we had horrendous weather for most of the trip & the one day we we to see Concorde was the nicest weather (& we were stuck inside trying to see planes land & take off). I was wondering if there's anywhere on the south coast where we could maybe be in a rum shop / on a beach or at least outdoors, where they would still get a good view of the planes, but where the grown ups could also get some fresh air!

Any recommendations gratefully welcome!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
241 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anywhere near airport to watch planes land/take off

I'd go to Miami beach. Get a good view of planes. Nice bar and a cracking beach. I'm not into planes but swimming in the sea amd seeing a Virgin 747 above is an impressive sight.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anywhere near airport to watch planes land/take off

Miami/Enterprise beach .... or on Maxwell or Dover. Get there before 2pm and then watch Air Canada, West Jet, BA, AA and VS plus LIAT planes all head in over the next hour or so lol

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,407 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anywhere near airport to watch planes land/take off

Another vote for Miami/Enterprise Beach near Oistins. There is a great bit of the beach that is like a 'lagoon'. Excellent for kids, and they can watch the planes go right overhead as described.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,181 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anywhere near airport to watch planes land/take off

spacecadet74

As someone who engages in plane-spotting as a hobby, I would not recommend going to Enterprise (Miami) Beach to see planes land/takeoff. For starters, you can't see them taking off from Enterprise Beach.

I would suggest if you have a car, go to the back of the airport near the Regional Police Training Centre and Barbados Light Aeroplane Club. This is where I go every chance I get...which is almost every weekend. To get there, leave Oistins, drive up the hill, travel through Calendars and Durants, pass the Barbados Golf Club and keep travelling straight. You'll eventually come upon a small Shell Gas Station, take the next right turn and follow the road. You'll eventually drive past the start of the runway. Keep travelling around the fence and then you'll come upon a wide grassy area adjacent to the BGI fence. You can park along there. There is also a rum shop opposite the fencing which is open daily selling snacks and a variety of drinks.

It's an excellent place for taking photographs and you'll be in prime position for the taking offs and landings.

Hope this helps

Regards

spacecadet74
Level Contributor
154 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anywhere near airport to watch planes land/take off

Thanks everyone. Think I'll have a very happy 6 year old. Think we might just do both. He'd love to see the planes (particularly VS) fly right over him & he'd really love being near the runway so I'll be adding both to the itinerary, especially if there also a rum shop next to the airport :-D

england
Level Contributor
552 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Anywhere near airport to watch planes land/take off

The rum shop, Nurses, is one of the friendliest I have ever been too. And it is in prime position to watch the planes taxi up then turn around and take off. On Fridays or it may be Saturday she also cooks lovely fried chicken and chips. It is so close to the runway we have been able to clearly see friends waving to us when we have been leaving the island. (Crying)!!!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
357 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Anywhere near airport to watch planes land/take off

BGIWT: On 2 Sundays when I took different Sunday Scenic Bus Tours, we drove around the airport and stopped to watch some planes take off - in addition to the Blackbelly Sheep grazing along the fences, there were a whole string of parked cars with families enjoying the view.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,037 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anywhere near airport to watch planes land/take off

I can't imagine how much fun a plane crazy 6 year old kid (plane crazy here too) would have being that close to the runway and the planes as they land a take off! It would probably be his best day ever on Barbados.... and you the best Mum or Dad ever. haha

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,181 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anywhere near airport to watch planes land/take off

MamieRiley

Maybe I was in one of the cars! My friends and I love to go there to take photos.

Regards

spacecadet74
Level Contributor
154 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anywhere near airport to watch planes land/take off

Thanks again everyone. Will definitely check out the rum shop there. Northern, yes he'll be ecstatic. Might have to make the trip towards the end of the holiday otherwise he'll want to make it a daily occurrence!