We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'Big freeze may last until end of April'

Christ Church...
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
'Big freeze may last until end of April'

British DailyTelegraph preducting that current cold weather may last in the UK until the end of April. Is there anything that can be done to attract a few more Brits to Barbados to enjoy our 30 degree (C) gorgeous climate?

Iroquois, Canada
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 'Big freeze may last until end of April'

Free flights and accommodation, I guess :)

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,911 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 'Big freeze may last until end of April'

Cheaper flights obviously, but lower accommodation rates are not always possible. Hotels etc, have to make some kind of profit to pay their bills and staff, their wages. Utility bills alone continue to rise almost monthly.

Having said that, the AC in the Mango Bay managed condo next door ,to the one above me has been running now, 24/7 for 5 solid weeks or more. I hope the owner has a deep pocket because the hotel obviously doesn't care. No one is in there right now and it's still going! Visitors could help prevent costs rising by at least turning the things off when they leave the room . Small thing I know, but not good for the environment either.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
687 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 'Big freeze may last until end of April'

Heading over Friday morning from Dublin won't believe until I see it ha ha freezing here!!!!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,213 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 'Big freeze may last until end of April'

Publicize the lower hotel rates as of April 15th or a group of hotels put together "Spring Specials" and get the message out there. Can't do much about air fares but hotels and restaurants can do something. Someone once said don't worry about things you don't control, take care of what you can do. So Do It.

warrington
Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 'Big freeze may last until end of April'

Maybe its a bit late in the day to do anything about it now, a lot of Brits will be heading to the Med for Easter and people have to have holiday availability from work etc.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 'Big freeze may last until end of April'

Thanks PeachandQuiet, we arrived home yesterday :o( ...to said big freeze and snow! My flip flops have swapped to wellies ;o) ridiculous! never dreamt I would wear those again this year!

In answer to your question I always thought those cards that offered 2 for 1 at certain attractions and 15 or 20% off food were a good idea, I am sure you could do free nights at hotels too, especially at the end of peak season. I find the rate increases ridiculous from mid Dec-April. Saying that I don't think for many Barbados is an impulse holiday, because of flight time and cost most people do around 2 weeks and that needs to be planned as does budget with air fare costs alone.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 'Big freeze may last until end of April'

Saljones I was typing at the same time re the time of work, totally agree.

London, United...
Level Contributor
727 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 'Big freeze may last until end of April'

Sounds like an ideal opportunity for the hotels to promote themselves and offer "Big Freeze" rates to British Tourists, I'm looking to go to BIM in November and the bleak weather over here gives me more incentive than ever to get it booked sooner rather than later. Having said that I've always found that the BA and Virgin rates are considerably more competetive than the direct rates that the hotels offer over the phone, I can't imagine that they'll be beaten even with a discount.

uk
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 'Big freeze may last until end of April'

p_buxton

I have also found that the majority of time it is cheaper to book via a 3rd party than direct with the hotel

Also for some reason April & November flight prices are more expensive than May- June & Sept- Oct so presumably that means that they are already popular times to go ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
727 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 'Big freeze may last until end of April'

I guess the prices are expensive in April because it's the Easter Holiday period so popular with families. November in Barbados is the back end of the rainy (hurricane) season so it's more popular than September and October.