We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barbados Island Exclusive

Christ Church...
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Barbados Island Exclusive

The Minister of Tourism announced yesterday the launch of the BARBADOS ISLAND EXCLUSIVE package. BDS$11 million will be spent to hopefully attract an additional 15,000 long stay visitors who may spend BDS$30 million, which is calculated on an average of BDS$2,000 per person. The package will offer a discount voucher (s) of up to BDS$600 per person depending on length of stay (up to 7 nights).

If these figures are achieved, this would give a return on investment (ROI) of 1:2.72 at a subsidy cost of BDS$733 per person.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barbados Island Exclusive

The article below was in the Nation News but I have the impression you have to book air and hotel for the vouchers. What about people who rent condos or air only?

nationnews.com/articles/…

Barbados will invest $11 million on a new tourism product – Barbados Island Inclusive – that officials estimate will result in visitor spending of almost three times that amount.

In unveiling the package yesterday, Minister of Tourism Richard Sealy said it would offer visitors an air and accommodation package from April 29 that earns them free dining of up to $600 per person at local eating houses as an inducement to greater spending in Barbados.

“While those previous promotions delivered savings at the point of purchase to the customer, they did not promote or commit this proposed level of spending in Barbados. That money stayed in the distribution channels outside of Barbados,” he said.

He told journalists in the Barbados Tourism Authority’s (BTA) boardroom at the Lloyd Erskine Sandiford Centre that the intention was to spread returns of this investment to eating houses beyond the BTA and Barbados Hotel and Tourism Association’s definition of a restaurant. (GA)

Christ Church...
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barbados Island Exclusive

Canby, as always you have raised a very good point. Apartments, Condominiums and Villas. Also, is it only applicable to BHTA members, otherwise you are going to put a huge chunk of the accommodation sector at a disadvantage. When will the offer go on the BTA website and FaceBook page?

Christ Church...
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barbados Island Exclusive

More details of the programme have now been posted on the BTA website (www.visitbarbados.org)

UK Cornwall
Level Contributor
171 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barbados Island Exclusive

Peach, im guessing this is where the $400BDS voucher im being offered on a BA package is coming from???

is there a link to participating venues anywhere does anyone know??

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barbados Island Exclusive

I'm flying and renting a condo seperately. I assume that I wont be able to access these vouchers. Which is a little unfair, and to some degree encourages me to cook and eat at the apartment rather than eat out. which defeats the object of the scheme. I'll still eat out, but possibly not as often. I cant see anything on the BTA website

Christ Church...
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barbados Island Exclusive

Cavalier,

just click onto the Barbados Island Inclusive logo on the home page.

Olsey,

I am afraid I found the operator or direct aspect of the promotion at bit unclear. I thought that UK originating visitors got BDS$600 for 7 nights or longer, but it may vary with different operators. Maybe check with the BTA UK office.

Christ Church...
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barbados Island Exclusive

I see the confusion. In a PRWeb media release dated 27th April 2013 they quote that UK and European visitors are given a BDS$600 voucher for minimum 7 night stays.

I think the BTA should clarify this on their website before more confusion is caused.

Wick, Scotland...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Barbados Island Exclusive

I have booked through BA for this july before this promotion began. Have I lost out? :(

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,970 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barbados Island Exclusive

Is this being offered to Canadians and Americans or just the Brits and Europeans?

Edited: 01 May 2013, 13:48
Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barbados Island Exclusive

If indeed it's true that it's available to those booking hotels as opposed to condos, I wonder if the reason for this is to actually encourage visitors to rent hotel accommodation (which provide much local employment) as opposed to condos (provide comparitively little local employment) and, conceivably, any rental income may well leave the island immediately as foreign condo owners could, presumably, be paid into their home banks overseas.

Of course there may be local condo owners also, but again, a stay in a condo is of benefit to that condo owner as opposed to all of the staff a hotel employs. I do think it's not a bad idea to offer these terms if that's the case, as the hotels are in desperate need of better occupancy right now and any little incentive helps.