We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

non-sweet rum punch recommendations

Dallas
Level Contributor
196 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
non-sweet rum punch recommendations

I don't like sweet drinks...I prefer them more on the tart/sour side. I had a rum punch at Scarlett which is the best one I've had on the island.

Fresh lime juice muddled with a little brown sugar, rum, angostura bitters served short over crushed ice. Anywhere else make a similar, NOT sweet rum punch?

I realize this has probably been asked a million times but mine is more specific.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,859 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: non-sweet rum punch recommendations

HawaiiLover81

The Atlantis Restaurant does a superb Rum Punch as well and I find they are not sweet either.

Regards

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,914 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: non-sweet rum punch recommendations

I too, am a non sweet coctail lover, and find that in Barbados, the Barmen love to use sugar syrup in everything. I just ask them to either cut it down, or cut it out completely, and that seems to do the trick.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: non-sweet rum punch recommendations

That's what I thought WestiegL, just ask the barman to cut out the sugar.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,859 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: non-sweet rum punch recommendations

Most bars and restaurants that I'm aware of on the island have their rum punch pre-mixed. It isn't just made per each individual order. Some bartenders use more simple syrup than others. But almost all bars on this island have their rum punch pre-mixed as it's an extremely popular drink.

FERNANDINA BEACH
Level Contributor
16 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: non-sweet rum punch recommendations

Try the traditional Barbados Rum Punch; "one of sour [lime juice], two of sweet [falernum - an almond flavored simple syrup], three of strong [Barbados rum - I prefer Mount Gay] and four of weak [ice and a small amount of watershaken, not stirred].

If it is too sweet, cut down on the falernum.

Chuck

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,213 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: non-sweet rum punch recommendations

As stated by Westiegal, just ask for a less sweet rum punch and you'll get it....easily.

Dallas
Level Contributor
196 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: non-sweet rum punch recommendations

Yup Bgi it was my understanding that most are premade already. Went to the cliff yesterday and asked for my rum punch to not be sweet at all. Thing came out super sweet anyways.

The new default is mount gay extra old with ginger ale and angostura bitters. Yum.

Last night of Vaca today, noooo!!! Surfers cafe for lunch and cin cin for dinner. Crane beach during the day. Gonna be a good one.

Dallas
Level Contributor
196 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: non-sweet rum punch recommendations

Tip to all that don't like sweet rum drinks. See if a good bartender can make you an AUTHENTIC mai tai. Dark rum, light rum, triple sec, lime juice, orgeat syrup (or falernum), and a touch of syrup.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,213 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: non-sweet rum punch recommendations

Interesting as I have asked for a less sweetened rum punch a few times and they always managed to tone it down quite a bit.

So I guess the level of sweetness is on the palate.

Enjoy your final day.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,914 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: non-sweet rum punch recommendations

A good drink for non sweet lovers instead of a Rum Punch ( which I gave up on years ago ) is a Rum Sour, but again tell them NOT to use sugar syrup, as you want it SOUR . That usually works a treat.