We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'Seatplus' on Virgin Atlantic

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
'Seatplus' on Virgin Atlantic

Virgin are now offering 'Seatplus' for Economy seats only.

For £60 you can reserve the empty seat next to you for more space on certain flights.

Great idea if you are lucky enough to be on a half empty flight. Terms and conditions are found at the bottom of the page :

virgin-atlantic.com/gb/…seat-plus.html

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,548 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 'Seatplus' on Virgin Atlantic

To be honest, I'm at a loss why someone would pay £60 to reserve an empty seat next to them, when they can simply continue to do what is done today....wait for everyone to be on-board and then move to an empty row...That's most certainly what I do when travelling economy.

Edited: 17 May 2013, 18:42
Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 'Seatplus' on Virgin Atlantic

That's if there are any seats spare when we are all crammed in an Airbus I take it lol?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,548 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 'Seatplus' on Virgin Atlantic

Good point there. But what I really mean is that this is like how all the airlines want to charge you more for exit row seats, when you could just claim them for free before take-off once available... much much cheaper that way.

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 'Seatplus' on Virgin Atlantic

I know that frequent flyers of AA can do this, but it seems cheeky to pay for it!

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 'Seatplus' on Virgin Atlantic

BGI ... I hear what you are saying about grabbing those empty seats but sometimes you have to be pretty quick off the mark, LOL!

I think this 'seatplus' thing would be good for lets say 'the larger person'. I know that there was a debate here in the UK recently on the radio about making people over a certain size pay for 2 seats !!!!

Edited: 17 May 2013, 20:17
Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 'Seatplus' on Virgin Atlantic

On many domestic flights here you just get exit row seats for free at the airport but on an 8 hour flight everyone wants more room and I agree with Babiface that exit row economy seats sell pretty quickly on flights to BGI.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,548 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 'Seatplus' on Virgin Atlantic

Babiface

I agree completely. Larger persons should either pay for the extra seat or just fly Premium or higher.

Regards

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,785 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 'Seatplus' on Virgin Atlantic

Babiface, we are having the same discussion in Canada and in the US. As I remember an over-sized person was refused boarding on one of the American airlines. That got human rights etc etc etc involved. IMO if you are over-sized and start to overflow your seat and invade the space your neighbouring passengers have paid for then you either buy more space or stay within the single passenger space you have bought. Can you imagine sharing your space in a window seat with such a person in the middle seat on a 777 for 8 hours? I don't think the matter is settled. Another idea that has come up is 'kidless' flights. I don't think I have to explain why.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 'Seatplus' on Virgin Atlantic

Put the children outside on the wing?

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 'Seatplus' on Virgin Atlantic

Almatt,

Only if they won't fit in the cargo hold ;-)