We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What part of the island is best...

Miami, Florida
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What part of the island is best...

My husband and I are planning a quick, sort of last minute trip to Barbados for 4th of July weekend. What part of the island is the best to stay? He enjoys the beach and good snorkeling, and I would like something that has a cute town area with good restaurants and shops (preferably in walking distance or a short cab ride away). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,718 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What part of the island is best...

You have just described Holetown on the West Coast. Have a look at Hotels in that area especially Colony Club, Sandpiper and Coral Reef, all within walking distance of all the shops restaurants and Bars that Holetown has to offer. Also a little further away, Fairmont Royal Pavillion,, walkable but a bit more of a treck

Edited: 20 May 2013, 16:17
Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,970 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What part of the island is best...

From your list of requirements I would say the Holetown area on the West Coast would suit you best. There is snorkeling nearby as the sea tends to be calmer on the West coast. There is the Lime grove complex and the chattel village for shopping. Plenty of restaurants to suit various budgets in the area too. Are you wanting a hotel or rent a condo. If you let us know and your budget people will be able to offer accommodation advice.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,970 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What part of the island is best...

Must have been typing at the same time Westiegal ;o)

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,718 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What part of the island is best...

Well the answer was obvious wasn't it UK !

Miami, Florida
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What part of the island is best...

Thanks for the quick responses. I will start researching Holetown. We wanted to stay at about 2K for flights and hotel. The flights out of Miami are pretty reasonable, so the majority of that budget is for lodging. We tend to prefer resort style hotels that have well kept pools and beaches. A nice spa wouldn't hurt either.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,718 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What part of the island is best...

All the Hotels I mentioned are probably in the top 10 on the Island, all on good beaches, I believe Coral Reef has a Spa, but I'm not sure about Fairmont and Colony Club without checking. The ones on the best beaches are Fairmont first then Coral Reef and Colony Club. Sandpiper which is a small boutique hotel and sister to Coral Reef, is nearest to Holetown and you can use Coral Reef's facilities.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,622 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What part of the island is best...

Coral Reel Hotel has magnificent grounds and has the old world charm for which Barbados was so well known. It is run by a family that has been in the business of treating guests perfectly for more than 40 years. We have enjoyed their lovely Sunday Brunch and gone dinner dancing there many times over the years. If you like to do exercise, there are free public tennis courts a few hundred yards south - adequate for early morning cardio-exercise, then have a swim and a great breakfast.

Cardiff, UK
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What part of the island is best...

Tamarind Hotel, a short bus ride south of Holetown, is well worth considering, with beautiful grounds on a

lovely beach ( Paynes Bay ) with good snorkelling and swimming with Turtles nearby and lovely walks by the sea north to Sandy Lane Bay. Two good restaurants ( Dapnhes and Scarlets ) nearby as well as local eateries/ takeaways.

Edited: 20 May 2013, 20:23
Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,622 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What part of the island is best...

Coral Reel Hotel is next door to Folkestone Marine Park - which is a protected area for snorkeling which you mention. .It is also within walking distance to Holetown, with its stores, boutiques, restaurants,bars, nightlife, and the new upscale Lime Grove Lifestyle center which even has a movie theater.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,622 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What part of the island is best...

obviously I can't type - hotel is Coral Reef (not Reel!)