We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandbox trees?

Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Sandbox trees?

I have been intrigued by the sandbox tree or dynamite tree (also called monkey-no-climb) for quite some time. We have a trip planned to stay in Barbados which is one of the countries they grow in. Just wondering if anyone knows where as I would live to see one in person.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,950 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandbox trees?

I believe the huge tree, that is over 400 years old in the courtyard at St Nicholas Abbey is a Sandbox Tree. See picture here on this link

…wordpress.com/2011/01/19/st-nicholas-abbey/

Apart from the tree, the Abbey is well worth a visit, read about it here, www.stnicholasabbey.com

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
849 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandbox trees?

dont know much about the sandbox tree ,but you have to see the Baobab in Warrens rd St Michael Bridgetown its over 44ft around,and over 250 years old ,very spectacular

spacecadet74
Level Contributor
153 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandbox trees?

I was just talking to someone today in the chattel village in holetown (only caught part of the conversation) & I believe he was talking about the dynamite tree. If I heard correctly, there's one just behind Cafe Carizma where all the chattel shops are.

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandbox trees?

I would imagine the one in the Chattel Village they were referring to will be the Cannonball tree. It is quite an amazing tree with beautiful flowers which grow from branches curling out of the trunk and all the leaves are on top of the tree. The seeds are in what looks like a cannonball.

There is another tree like it in Bridgetown and I believe another one somewhere else on the island.

5. Re: Sandbox trees?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2014, 06:16