We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nightmare

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
549 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Nightmare

Worked overtime all year to save up for our dream holiday, booked 2 weeks at Mango Bay in August, been really looking forward to it.

My partners father went to the doctors on Friday with a cough and was sent for tests today, he has lung cancer that has spread to the brain.

This is tragic, and obviously we won't be able to go on holiday :(

We booked through BA and I'm sure they have a no refund policy. We do have travel insurance but this was taken out 3 days before the diagnosis so the insurance company will say 'you knew he was sick so we arnt paying'

Does anybody have any advice??

Thank you.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,907 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Nightmare

Yes, I have some advice. Stop assuming that everyone is going to turn down your claim. You should be talking to the airline and the insurance company and then you will know for sure what their decision will be. If you booked through a travel agent then discuss it with them as well. Have you paid everything up front or just a deposit? I hope that the doctors will be able to help your parent. It's very sad news.

Edited: 04 June 2013, 00:55
near Chicago
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nightmare

Senior gave good advice. Also, if the insurance company thinks your claim if false, you can ask the doctor that diagnosed your partner's father to write a letter stating dates of visitis and testing, etc. Your claim doesn't seem as though it would be hard to prove.

My husband had an accident five days before a trip to Antigua. Our insurance carrier wanted proof of doctor visits, etc. The doctor's office was very nice about sending those to us.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
242 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nightmare

So sorry for your sad news...

Barbados will wait for you.

In terms of your insurance coverage.....if you don't ask, the answer is ALWAYS no! If you have the time, get on the phone and hound them!!

Best of luck!

Manchester
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nightmare

We can only speculate in what you are covered for, BA holidays would possibly let you book at a later date.

I would contact BA ASAP and your insurance company.

Such a sad time for all of you.

Best wishes.

Edited: 04 June 2013, 06:37
Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nightmare

Yes a very sad time for you all.

Do try BA for a postponement though and then your insurance company if BA can't help.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,399 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nightmare

I'm so sorry to hear your news . I would certainly talk to BA TODAY . I book a non fexible ticket with Virgin twice a year and they have always said that if my 96 year old close relative is taken ill I would still be able to change my ticket with a letter from a Doctor. Ring BA and your Travel Insurance now and stop worrying until you know for certain.

I remember how thoroughly you went into choosing your hotel and how much you were looking forward to your holiday, but all may not be lost. Good luck

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
549 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nightmare

Thank you very much everyone.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,193 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nightmare

Xzibit1982

You may also need to faxed over a copy of the diagnosis from the doctor as proof of your claim with BA. It would also be good if both your partner and his/her father have the same surname as that too can cause an issue with your claim. In the past I've always found BA to be very supportive of situations such as this. I truly hope it all works out for you.

Regards

Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nightmare

I know this might sound insensitive and contrarian but I'd still try and make the trip. Unless I were on my death bed I'd want my kids to take their vacation and I'd insist that they go. This parent might feel the same way.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,907 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Nightmare

I wanted to say something like that too but not sure how it would be taken. The diagnosis has only just been made and their father may well be ok for some time especially if there is a possibility of a treatment programme. Maybe hold off making changes until the situation is clearer.