We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire Questions!

Bristol, England...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Car Hire Questions!

I've left this so late - we arrive Monday!

But our budget has been cut last minute, life ay! and I am now trying to cut down on costs.

Do we reeeeeallllyyy need a hire car?

A hire care for ten days was going to cost me approx £300. I wanted this as i reallyy wanted to go and enjoy all areas of the island and explore on our own ideally.

However I am now wondering as we are staying on the west coast do we really need one.

If we don't get a hire car - we will be paying for airport transfers and taxis so Im wondering how good the taxi rates are.

And if we do hire a car we will be paying for petrol anyway - so im trying to work out which is the best option financially to save us a bit of cash!

All advice welcome - really want to try and decide today! :-)

Thanks

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,904 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire Questions!

Well I don't have a car and I live in Holetown half the year, it depends whether you envisage going to see things around the Island every day, in which case you should probably have one, or have just planned a few trips in which case you can set a price with a taxi driver ( make sure it's in Bajan dollars )

The taxi fare from the Airport to Holetown is supposed to be under $60 dollars I believe, but in truth you will probably pay up to 70 Bds dollars plus tip. Whether you need a car to get around daily depends where you actually are staying in Holetown.? Remember, buses are fun and cheap 2bds per any one trip

Edited: 11 June 2013, 12:11
Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,904 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire Questions!

I've just seen on another thread that you are staying at All Seasons. That is a fair old walk to the centre of Holetown, and even if you walked when going out at night, you would really need a taxi home, so only you can decide .

Bristol, England...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire Questions!

We are staying at all seasons in sunset crest - so great location for beaches and quiet days.

I'm happy to use the buses around the westcoast - But yes, I want to go to oistins on the friday, go to north point, bathsheba, crane beach, wildlife reserve etc. Theres also a beach extravaganza one night at harbour lights i want to go to.

How much are petrol prices? as obviously id have to account for that with a hire car. So wondering if it would just be cheaper to taxi it on those days we will leave the west coast?

A hire care will be about $900 bsd then petrol on top.

Thats great taxi rates from the airport - British airways want to charge me £50 (aprox $150bsd) !! Can i book a taxi before i go somehow or can i just wave as we come out of the airport haha!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire Questions!

Rebekahh R

I would just get a car for three days. That allows you to do some exploring around the island, move at your own schedule most days etc. Gasoline will be $3.25 BBD a litre when you get here...so just over £1 a litre.

Bus Transportation on the West Coast is excellent and as Westiegal has stated, the fare is only $2 BBD per person. You can visit the South and other parts of the West Coast easily.

Regards

Bristol, England...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire Questions!

theres a free shuttle bus at all seasons to holetown ! ;-) xx

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire Questions!

Maybe just hire a car for 3 days so that you can easily get to see places like Bathsheba on the East coast.

The rest of the time it is quite easy to use the buses to get to Bridgetown and to the South Coast.

By the way ... try Top Car rentals they do very good deals!

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire Questions!

LOL! BGI .... we were posting the same thing at the same time!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire Questions!

Rebekahh R

You can easily get a taxi right outside the arrivals hall upon exiting. Just speak to the dispatcher and he will arrange a taxi for you. Registered taxis of all types will be there. The fare to Sunset Crest will be $58 BBD, however, should you require a van due to excess luggage, the fare will be 1.5 times the cost = $87 BBD. Do ensure you are quoted either BBD or USD and that the price is given before you leave. 1 USD = 2 BBD

Also note, make sure you speak to an Official GAIA Inc Taxi Dispatcher....they will be wearing uniform and ID. These are the only persons who should be arranging journeys for arriving passengers via the several Authorised Airport Taxis. There are a few unscrupulous individuals called "snatchers" who like to lure visitors across the car park to their taxis and charge them higher rates and additional fees for air conditioning etc. Please take note of this.

Have a great time in Barbados!

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire Questions!

Rebekahh

You can easily get a taxi to Holetown from the taxi rank at the airport when you arrive. You will get the cheapest rate there, rather than pre booking one.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,904 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire Questions!

You can get a taxi from the stand at the Airport, but make sure you agree the price in Bajan dollars before you leave. I cannot believe that BA is trying to charge £50 !!!! what a rip off.