We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2.95$ to £1

Pontefract, United...
Level Contributor
301 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
2.95$ to £1

Hi I was looking to take some dollars over with me .. £1 for 2.952$ barbados. as good as we will get in Barbados.

if not can we get good exchange rate in the airport. Or can we pay the taxi by with us$.

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,129 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2.95$ to £1

I would take USD with you. You get a better rate of exchange as the USD is tied to the BDS$ (officially BDS1.98 to USD1, but taxis etc will give you 2:1). Alternatively take £s with you and change at a bank (not the hotel)

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,374 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2.95$ to £1

The rate today in Barbados is $3.06 to the pound. The rate given in the UK is disgusting! You can check the daily rate in Barbados here ------------http://www.centralbank.org.bb/WEBCBB.nsf/0/BD1CA599E2E6396A0425744B0055BCED?OpenDocument

Edited: 24 June 2013, 14:33
Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,374 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2.95$ to £1

Oops I don't know what went wrong with that link !!! Just Google Central Bank of Barbados exchange rates .

Take some US dollars to start you off, but be aware that UK banks give a lousy rate for those too , so don't get too many. unless the US dollar suddenly plummets against the pound.

Edited: 24 June 2013, 14:41
Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2.95$ to £1

kirimist - we tried to pay an airport porter a couple of years ago with US$, and the porter at the airport was nasty about it - and demanded extra as he stated that he had to pay exchange fees at the bank? - we were surprised as most locals like to get US$ - but you might have a problem, so a $100 Bbds in small bills would be a good idea for the airport unless you have a hotel/airport transfer with your holiday, that way you wouldn't need a taxi, and if you are young and don't have heavy luggage you won;t need a porter either..

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,522 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2.95$ to £1

anothersadowner

I'm not sure why a taxi driver would get annoyed at getting USD. They love USD... never met one who dislikes it..

Regards

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,129 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2.95$ to £1

Some thing makes me think that taxi driver was being naughty trying to get more money out of you.

I have often given locals USD in exchange for BDS$ because they can't get hold of them. One night in Oistins i was queuing at Georges for my dinner and a local man saw the USD in my hand and asked me if I would exchange them for BDS$ at 1:2 for him. I ended up giving him all that I had on me and I spent the BDS$ anyway., so we were both happy!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,592 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2.95$ to £1

It was a porter that anothersadowner said was demanding more not a Taxi driver. Never seen that before. Hope he didnt get a tip on top! All my cases have wheels but I always have a porter as it keeps the wheels of commerce running! I wouldn't pay more because it was US$ though. I would just wheel myself. That would soon change his mind.

On the great US$/BDS$/£ debate. I always take US$. That way at least you know what you have got. Exchange rates are very volatile just now. You could win you could lose if you take £. Who knows.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2.95$ to £1

Yup - our luggage has wheels too - but "snowbirds" who stay 6 months - take a lot of "stuff' - and WW2 vets aren't able to pick up luggage off carousel etc. anymore - too old and frail - need a porter- so "safety first" don't get stung, "ripped off" and upset the start of your holiday - always have some sm. Bajan currency

London, United...
Level Contributor
705 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2.95$ to £1

Agree with the above. Don't purchase BD$ in UK as always a worse rate in my experience. Also, every porter I've ever used has preferred US$ for tip. I've even had some ask if I had any pounds on me as they had a friend / relative travelling to England and didn't want to get it from bank. Funnily enough, I've changed several £s that way in Barbados.

10. Re: 2.95$ to £1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2014, 05:16