We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtles without excursion

Augusta, Georgia...
3 posts
Save Topic
Turtles without excursion

Where is the best beach to go off of if I want to see some Sea-Turtles, but not do an excursion? Is it possible to just swim from shore and see some?

Is there such a thing as a snorkel map of the island? Best places to walk into the water and find a reef?

I am sure we will do 1 rum-filled excursion, I am just looking for something at our own pace. We have a car, so travel is not an issue.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,914 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turtles without excursion

Go to Alleynes Beach on the West Coast just north of Holetown. Going by car, park at the back of the car park opposite Lone Star Restaurant ,. head to the right of the Restaurant as you look at the sea and you will find Ramshackle's Bar and Restaurant. Go down their stairs to the beach and you can hire a lounger and umbrella if you wish, and from there you can easily swim out to the Turtles from the beach, then afterwards you can have a nice lunch.

Edited: 26 June 2013, 19:15
Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turtles without excursion

Totally agree with Westiegal3, we have had the turtles just swimming around us close to the beach on Alleynes Bay too. It is a lovely beach to spend the day at.

Augusta, Georgia...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Turtles without excursion

Thank you.

What is a fair price for a chair/lounger for the day?

Thanks!

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turtles without excursion

They charge $30bds for two loungers and an umbrella up a Ramshackles

Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Turtles without excursion

I am from Barbados (grew up in the States and have been spending lots more time here in recent years), and I learn something new from these posts every day. Thanks!

england
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Turtles without excursion

got to agree with westgirl, ramshackles is a great place to swim with turtles then have a bite to eat they also have floats u can use to help u swim, plus the sea is usually calm to.

Pontefract, United...
Level Contributor
301 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turtles without excursion

we are staying at BUTTERFLY beach would this be the best turtle option for us, if so how long would it take to go be Bus and would that be easy to get a bus there and back. Thanks

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,914 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turtles without excursion

BGI is the expert at buses from the south coast, but once you are on a bus heading for Speightstown, just ask to be dropped off at the Lone Star Restaurant and you are there.. As I said earlier, Ramshackles is just to the right of Lonestar a as you face the sea, and another smaller beach bar Ju Ju's is to the left . See which you prefer. A friend of mine used to live virtually next door to Ramshackles and she fed the turtles from the beach every night long before Ramshackles existed.

england
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Turtles without excursion

hi walkerworld, we stay at the butterfly beach every year, if you just want to see the turtles u can see them just up the road at oistins, they are where the boats unload the fish that have been caught that day, its about 10 mins walk from the hotel, u just need to ask at the fish market and they will tell u were to go,

hope this helps, ps if there is any help needed when u r there just ask at reception and they will help you,

regards carlandgailp

Port Rowan, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turtles without excursion

Yes, we were at Oistins in February on a Friday night and watched the turtles feeding! Also at the beach at Crystal Waters.

Edited: 02 July 2013, 01:22