We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in St James Parish

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel in St James Parish

Looking to holiday in Barbados next January/February.

Can anyone recommend a hotel in the St James area for a couple in their 40's looking for a relaxing holiday.

Thanks

warrington
Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in St James Parish

Without a doubt Sandpiper is fabulous but quite expensive, I also can recommend Colony Club and Tamarind Cove, if you prefer AI there is Mango Bay and Crystal Cove.

I dont think you would go wrong with any of these.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,368 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in St James Parish

I would recommend the Sandpiper first, then Coral Reef, Fairmont Pavilion and Colony Club, then Treasure Beach, The House ( except it has no grounds to speak of ) and Tamarind Cove.

If you want All Inclusive ( not needed here ) have a look at Mango Bay .

If you really want to push the boat out, look at Sandy Lane , but my choice would still be Sandpiper.

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in St James Parish

Thanks of the advice.

One more thing please ..... to do All Inclusive or not? We are not great fans but do recognise that for certain holidays this is the best option, both price and practical wise. Just wondered what you thought - is it more cost affective and/or are there plenty of good, accessible places to eat outside the hotel grounds?

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,368 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in St James Parish

If you stay at any of the first three Hotels I have recommended, you have a wealth of lovely restaurants close by to suit all pockets. All Inclusive is definitely not necessary IMHO. Sandpiper is a short walk away from the main restaurant area, night and day, the others are a very short bus or taxi ride at night, and walkable in the day, though the Pavilion is a fairly good walk.

The others are a bit further away from Holetown, but still a fairly short ride, and there are a few restaurants near to them that are walkable to.

Cardiff, UK
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in St James Parish

My wife and I are happy to recommend The Tamarind in Paynes Bay, beautiful hotel, with fab water sports included, and a water taxi to take you to Colony Club to enjoy a visit there for free. Walking by the sea is great here: you go as far north as Sandy Lane Beach and back with ease. There are a number of cheap eateries near by as well as upmarket restaurants, and it is a 1US$, 5-6 mins bus ride to Holetown with its many restaurants, bars, supermarket and chemist. Why not read my latest hotel review for Tamarind entitled " Why does this hotel deserve all the accolades it gets" .

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,517 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel in St James Parish

CharlotteB26

I can't recommend the Fairmont or Colony Club enough. You won't be disappointed with either. I would not recommend Coral Reef Club as they are closed from Aug 31 to Sep 27th 2013.

Regards

Edited: 10 July 2013, 01:40
Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,368 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel in St James Parish

BGI----- Charlotte is looking to travel in January / February when Coral Reef will be very much open, and that is a good point Charlotte. Both Sandpiper and Coral Reef close for re furbishment EVERY year, which ensures their standards are maintained.

Edited: 10 July 2013, 08:32
england
Level Contributor
304 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel in St James Parish

Royal pavilion every time. Book bed and breakfast and you get free afternoon tea, sandwiches, scones and cakes each day. Loads of restaurants a short taxi ride away in the evenings whichispart of the funoftneholiday.

Barbados
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel in St James Parish

Hi CharlotteB26,

I too would recommend The Sandpiper in Holetown, St. James.

Tel: (246) 422-2251

Fax: (246) 422-0900

Email: reception@sandpiperbarbados.com

http://www.sandpiperbarbados.com/

Atlanta, Georgia...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel in St James Parish

Westiegal3, How are the drink prices at such places as Sandpiper? The only reason we were looking into AI was being able to order drinks all day while at the pool or beach. We don't plan to travel around the island much and thought it would be nice to have free drinks.