We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Very Basic Couples Barbados Rooms

Warminster, PA
Level Contributor
266 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
The Very Basic Couples Barbados Rooms

Just saw some recent photos of a room in Block 5 and it's very disheartening - probably the most basic hotel room I've seen in a long time. The luggage rack for 1 suitcase was barely able to hold the small one on top of it. Bathroom looks sad, with rusted shower rods. Barely any furniture in the room at all. Sliding doors that won't close and complaints of mosquitos inside the rooms.I hope it's not as bad as the pictures depict. Everything else is sounding like it's improving but I would like a little luxury - on vacation.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Very Basic Couples Barbados Rooms

I do feel badly for the people who visited Couples when it first opened and things just didn't seem to be ready yet, but I'm getting very tired of hearing so many ongoing complains about the Hotel.

If people don't like the place, don't go!!!

Barbados is an incredibly beautiful place with beautiful people, lots of things to do, and there are many many other lovely places to stay.

Manchester
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Very Basic Couples Barbados Rooms

You don't have to read the posts if you find them tiring

Many people are interested in other people's observations, this is what Trip Advisor is all about.

Warminster, PA
Level Contributor
266 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Very Basic Couples Barbados Rooms

The problem is Susie that many of us booked with unrefundable air and based on the high standards that we became familiar with in the Couples Jamaica resorts. Hopefully the lack of room luxuries will be made up for with excellent food and service outside of the rooms.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Very Basic Couples Barbados Rooms

I also hope that the disappointment for those who have such exacting standards will be overcome and made up for by the beauty of the island and her people outside of the hotel.

I understand, that for some, the luxury of a safe and known brand such as Couples is an important part of a trip, but surely it's by no means the be all and end all? Experiencing a new culture, seeing new sights, meeting new people all add up to making a trip special...

Montreal QC
Level Contributor
700 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Very Basic Couples Barbados Rooms

I've had a terrible vacation one time in Cuba, the rooms were awful, nowhere near close to the quality depicted in the photos and online. Unfortunately though, I was in Cuba not Barbados. Thinking back, if the same thing happened to me in Barbados it would be much less of a problem. The great thing about Barbados is that if the room isn't that great at least the rest of the island is. In Cuba, you're pretty much stuck at a bad resort with a bad room.

Obviously a poor room is inexcusable especially for a pricey property like Couples, but at the very least you're in Barbados a great country with a lot to do off the resort.

near Chicago
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Very Basic Couples Barbados Rooms

I have only had one experience at a Couples resort in Jamaica. I would not call the room luxurious by any stretch. I felt the room was spare and basic. However, it was clean and well maintained. Having had this one Couples experience, I was not expecting luxury at CB in the room.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,577 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Very Basic Couples Barbados Rooms

I have stayed at all the Couples resorts in Jamaica and I have never seen them as luxury resorts. They are some of the higher rated resorts in Jamaica but certainly not what I call luxury. I didn't expect this one to be any different and it doesn't seem to be. The rooms have always lacked luster. They are comfortable, good food and completely all-inclusive. ie...no tipping allowed, excursions included, drinks, food. They are also wonderful for travelers that do not like to dress-up for dinner.....there are restaurants available for both. To me, they are very casual resorts....not luxury.

PA
Level Contributor
495 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Very Basic Couples Barbados Rooms

Thank you Tingy and Max for posting your take on the Couples chain as a casual resort and not a luxury 5 star.

I am booked for a week in December so I have been reading everything on here for the last few months but have not posted - just taking it all in. There has been soooooo much disappointment expressed by so many, and I think a lot of that comes from that apparently in the UK this resort is being sold as a luxury 5 star.

Before I booked, I did LOTS of homework - reading reviews of the old Almond Casaurina, talking to people who have been to Couples, reading articles about the new renovations - and it became very clear to me that this is an outdated property that is getting only a slight facelift and that with the couples takeover I would expect there to be great service, great food, great activities, and a nice but not luxury atmosphere. I never expected a totally renovated resort but did find out that the ocean front rooms were the newest block and so that is what I booked.

I did my research, got what I consider a great deal ($2,500 for 7 nights with direct flight out of JFK in ocean front room) and have my expectations set accordingly.

From what I have read, the opening weeks were a disaster and I do agree that those guests got a raw deal. Thankfully, things do seem to be improving, but still, the property is what it is and should not be sold as a 5 star luxury resort (and should not be charging 5 star luxury resort prices either).

Edited: 30 July 2013, 18:08
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Very Basic Couples Barbados Rooms

I think a few people may have misconstrued my "luxury" comment, I wasn't referring to the room itself - I was referring to the "luxury" that some people need/prefer of a familiar hotel chain as opposed to the unknown.

I haven't stayed in a Couples resort, and to be honest, I probably never will, big AIs just aren't my thing.

Anyway, as I said, I do hope that those who find the in-hotel experience less than what they expect/desire, will enjoy just being in Barbados and enjoy what the island has to offer.

near Chicago
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Very Basic Couples Barbados Rooms

My reference to "luxury" was an answer to the OP wanting a "little luxury" while on vacation.