We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transitting at Barbados airport

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Transitting at Barbados airport

Hi

I'm transitting at Barbados soon (coming from Palm Island, going to JFK) on 2 separate tickets.

Am I going to have to go through immigration and customs at Barbados to check in again for my onward flight to JFK with AA, even though (hopefully) I'll have printed my boarding pass, but have my bag to check in?

Or is there a transit area where I can do that (and so avoid immigration, AA check in counter and then bag scanner/security again).

It's a relatively tight connection. My flight from Palm Island would only have to be a bit late and I'll be in trouble.

They are 2 separate tickets on 2 separate computer locators, it's not a through ticket.

Also do you have to pay exit tax from Barbados in Barbados dollars, or is that already added on to the American Airlines ticket?

Thanks in advance for your help

PS also anyone know if they serve a meal on the Barbados-New York flight or it's treated like domestic?

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transitting at Barbados airport

Does St. Vincent Air/Mustique Airways (I forget what they call themselves now) know that you are connecting to an international carrier to the US? - I would suggest you let them know - I am not sure they are able to through check your bags these days due to security (it did used to happen and they would direct you to the departure lounge as you get off the plane) - I would suggest you check with them first as they will generally do their utmost to make your transition from one aircraft to the next as painless as possible.

There is no departure tax from Barbados (it is included in your ticket cost).

Food is for purchase on AA...usually at the gate before boarding.

Edited: 30 July 2013, 21:43
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,225 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transitting at Barbados airport

Worldtraveler67

American Airlines only serves meals from Barbados in Business Class. Coach customers can purchase items ranging from $3.29 USD to $10 USD onboard or just purchase something in the airport.

Regards

3. Re: Transitting at Barbados airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 05:18