We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Porters - Closest Reputable Dive Shop

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Staying in Porters - Closest Reputable Dive Shop

Hi Folks,

I'll be in Barbados for the first time this Christmas and I'm looking for a dive shop that would be close to where we're staying (in Porters, north of Holetown). What are my options, I'll have a car so I can drive but would prefer something close.

Where do the dive boats typically leave from in the morning?

I'm experienced and have my own gear.

Thanks in advance.

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,129 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Porters - Closest Reputable Dive Shop

You will find that some dive shops will pick you up from your hotel free, some others did start charging a few years ago. Not sure which are which now apart from I use Roger's Scuba Shack in Bridgetown and they don't charge. Great family run business, thoroughly recommend them.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Porters - Closest Reputable Dive Shop

think the closest one to you would be WEST SIDE SCUBA CENTRE by The Beach House restaurant right in Holetown - Beach restoration will be finished so you should be able to walk to it.

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,213 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Porters - Closest Reputable Dive Shop

I don't think West Side Scuba is situated there any more. Drifts Bar is in that building now.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Porters - Closest Reputable Dive Shop

Doing some research it looks like West Side Scuba is now in Bridgetown... found Reefers and Wreckers, which is 10 minutes north and has good reviews, that seems to be the closest I can find.

Thanks

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Porters - Closest Reputable Dive Shop

Thanks Babiface - didn't know - (wasn't able to walk the beach last winter!)

OK - what about High Tide Water Sports at Coral Reef? - right by Porters..Or Dive Barbados at Mt Standfast in St James- are those there still?

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Porters - Closest Reputable Dive Shop

Westside is located on the south coast.There is a guy call Biggy at the Fairmont Royal Pavillion that does diving he is certified.If you go to that hotel watersports shop you will be able to dive with them. Royal Pavillion is located just below where you will be staying,next to the Glitter Bay hotel.

7. Re: Staying in Porters - Closest Reputable Dive Shop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2014, 06:19