We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of medical care in Barbados

Hanover, Canada
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of medical care in Barbados

I thought the topic deserved its own thread. If one had a health event, say a heart attack, presuming one was treated quickly at one of the hospitals mentioned on the AIr Canada Sale thread, and if one didn't have out of country medical insurance, I wonder what would it cost to be treated until one was stable enough to fly home? I understand its an open ended question, but what are the experiences of those who have required medical care whilst in Barbados?

Canada
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of medical care in Barbados

Great question smokey66.

I am very interested in what responses you get to this question!!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of medical care in Barbados

There have been a number of posts on this subject and the costs vary depending on the problem. One I know had a stent put in at the Sparman Clinic and he had to start with a deposit of $15,000 US then he had to add to that along the way. That was before they did anything. Another had serious cardiac problems and it was the same thing.

How many people can access those type of funds immediately?

Otherwise you go to the QE Hospital and have the work done there, less expensively but you'll still get a bill.

So you're on a gurney in some ER, can't really say too much and someone has to get access to funds and whatever is required.

If you have insurance, someone makes the call, sets things up and you're taken care of....hopefully. In some situations people are not conscious or so seriously injured that they cannot communicate with the medical staff. Not pleasant to think about but these things do happen.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of medical care in Barbados

Spot on Canby I really do not understand anyone travelling without adequate insurance.

It's ok paying for a minor ailments but something requiring major surgery etc could run into thousands.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,887 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of medical care in Barbados

Can't tell you about a heart attack (hope it never happens) - as for medical costs for emergency care at Bayview - (sorry if this is boring to non Canadians.) - hubby was in shower 7am - and got out saying "had a bad pain in tummy" - went around to GP - (opens at 8am) ($70 Bbds =$35 Cdn) - saw him - were sent down to Bayview - surgeon waiting, (FRCS) - tests done - operation at 11 am - private room - dietitian asked re food preferences - hubby back in room 2.30pm - had been operated on for twisted hernia requiring a further op. to untangle it (laparotomy) plus incise gangrene commencing! - so two plus ops. 24 hrs hosp. stay - plus surgical after care for two weeks - total $16,00 Bbds = $8,000 Cdn. - insurance would have cost approx $5500/$6000 for us both - refunds back from OHIP and Rev.Can came to $2800/$3000 (if I remember but might have been a wee bit more) - so eventual cost was about $5,800 or $5500 - as said - it was a "wash" - years when there are no problems we save more now as we stay longer and are older!!!! -(so insurance would cost more) - OK ?- if you want further details pm us.

Edited: 08 September 2013, 18:38
Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,887 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of medical care in Barbados

Jane, you are no doubt a great deal wealthier than we are - we find the cost of paying $8000 Cdn prohibitive when it is not needed - Thank Heaven for the Visa card - put the costs on that and sort out afterward!

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of medical care in Barbados

ASO are you saying travel insurance would cost you 8000 canadian dollars? That sounds extraordinarily high even if you have existing medical conditiond. I still wouldn't travel without insurance. Not a pleasant topic but what if god forbid someone is so ill they needed to take a medical flight home....I can't begin to imagine those costs. I know we all think it never happens to us....but it can.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,970 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of medical care in Barbados

Jane, are not citizens of the UK covered in Barbados for emergency care? Why would you need to buy more insurance. Canadians and Americans are not covered so we have to buy our own. We get to submit that cost in our income tax and get a portion back.

When we were in Roatan I had renal colic and spent 5 hours in the "ER" (I use that term lightly...) received an ultrasound, IV, pain meds etc and a prescription to take until I got home. That cost $204.00 CDN all on VISA. What would have cost a fair bit was two one way tickets back to Canada and the lost rent on the condo. Our travel insurance also covers trip interruption so we got reimbursed for all of it... but not after letters from my physician, landlord, airline and a lengthy fight. I have heard that medical care in Mexico is also very affordable so that is why I was interested in how expensive it is in Barbados. In the US they will take your house, car and first born for anything requiring an emergency visit. lol That is one country I would NEVER travel to without insurance.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of medical care in Barbados

I know you were asking Jane but no you aren't covered as a UK citizen for care in Barbados if you need emergency medical care. I have had to use SC twice and both times I paid. In each case it was between £150-£200 GB so wasn't worth claiming due to excess on insurance. Something serious would be a different matter.

Edited: 08 September 2013, 19:32
Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,970 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost of medical care in Barbados

Sorry, I had been told that Barbados and the UK had an agreement for medical care.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,970 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost of medical care in Barbados

uk, unless I am reading this wrong there is an agreement between Barbados and the UK for emergency care.

dwp.gov.uk/international/…

Maybe that coverage is only for public hospitals and not private such as Sandy Crest and Bayview.