We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel ratings, what's going on?

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel ratings, what's going on?

I was very surprised to notice that all of a sudden The House has leapfrogged to the top of the rankings. So I looked back through their reviews and see that, although this hotel had been open at least 10-12 years there's isn't a single review anymore before October 2012 although there used to be plenty. Very, very odd and not representing an accurate picture at all IMHO.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel ratings, what's going on?

I read somewhere in Trip Advisor's guidelines that as long as a property provides proof of refurbishment, redevelopment etc, they can apply to have all old reviews deleted. This also happens when a property changes ownership.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
12,035 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel ratings, what's going on?

I noticed that too and thought it odd. However, at least it is an hotel unlike the previous number one which is merely 4 blocks of Time Share Condos-----------.lovely apartments as they obviously are.. The fact is that the visitors to top hotels such as Sandy Lane and Coral Reef are less likely to bother to post reviews on TA unless prompted, and those sort of hotels don't need to prompt.

Christ Church...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel ratings, what's going on?

InBarbados,

I think you have raised an excellent point. I was really surprised to see a number of Barbadian hotels being awarded the 2013 Certificate of Excellence, when their overall rating is in the 70 per cent range.

I thought that it only applied to hotels that consistently rated 90 per cent or more.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
12,491 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel ratings, what's going on?

P&Q - maybe you could raise the issue with the powers that be as you are in the "trade"? - Visitors really want genuinely helpful information - and listing a property with only a certificate of excellence rating in the 70% range as you mention is very misleading IMHO - splitting hairs for what ever reason either because the place changed ownership or been "refurbished" - how is a visitor to tell how good the establishment actually is? Visitors want info that is actually helpful we would suggest

5. Re: Hotel ratings, what's going on?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2014, 05:17