We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coconut Court or Soco Hotel - thoughts please!

Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Coconut Court or Soco Hotel - thoughts please!

I'm trying to decide between these hotels for January. I'm really just looking for a clean, comfortable and quiet hotel. I've been offered one of the recently redone rooms at CC and Soco is new so both seem OK. I am considering Soco mainly because of the costs of eating/drinking in Barbados. Difference in price for the 14 nights is a total of £1000 - seemed like it was def CC until I looked at the menus for Tapas and a few similar places and looked like costs could easily be £50-70 per night for the two of us. By the time I'd added in lunch, breakfast and a few beers , costs seemed to escalate!

Also, not sure about walking back to CC from places such as Tapas, do the buses run at 10pm and are they still safe or would we need taxis - this all adds to the cost.

What would you all do? I know AI isn't usually recommended in Barbados but not sure whether that applies more to Holetown and the Gap where there is more choice and you can walk to places.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,233 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coconut Court or Soco Hotel - thoughts please!

cal121

SoCo would be the better choice, but it is AI. Both locations are excellent for walking and local transport and there are a plethora of dining options nearby. Buses run until 12:30am so that's not a problem as they are quite safe. Coconut Court is a great hotel and I would choose it if I'm on a strict budget, if not, go with SoCo.

Regards

Montreal QC
Level Contributor
700 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coconut Court or Soco Hotel - thoughts please!

What made you decide on these two hotels? Reason I ask is because one is AI and the other isn't. I do know Accra is on a better beach than CC, and is also a very convenient location for walking to restaurants/bars such as Tapas, The Tiki Bar, etc, and it could be cheaper than SoCo and only slightly more expensive than CC.

You might want to check out Accra. Then again, CC has plenty in proximity too.

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,291 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coconut Court or Soco Hotel - thoughts please!

You can eat out a lot cheaper than Tapas if you want to. We tend to go cheaper than that most of the time. We go self catering and manage on £100 a day for two of us. That includes breakfast in the room, mixture of lunches n or out and every dinner out. Also includes bus fares as well.

Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Coconut Court or Soco Hotel - thoughts please!

Hi thanks for the replies.

BGI: are the buses safe to take in the evenings? I would hesitate to take night buses in some parts of the UK!

Steve P: I chose CC as it was a lot cheaper than most for January. In fact, Accra and Southern Palms came out to within £150 of the SoCo - I'm assuming that they must be quite booked up and only have the expensive rooms left!

Kirimist - We're hoping to do breakfast ourselves and then get things like sandwiches or rotis (my favourite) for lunch. I was thinking of Mama Mias and Tapas for evening meals. Possibly going to the Gap although we aren't late night party people by any means. Any suggestions for better priced evening places to eat would be great.

Thanks Cal

Canada
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coconut Court or Soco Hotel - thoughts please!

Where to start..........There are so many reasonably priced places to eat in the Hastings/Rockley/Worthing area.

Chefettes, Bert's ,Blakey's, Tiki Bar, Street Vendors, Subway, Cafe Sol takeout, Chinese Restaurant,,,,,,,,,, just to name a few!!!!! I'm blanking out on the name of the restaurant in the middle of the parking, across from Rockley Beach.

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Coconut Court or Soco Hotel - thoughts please!

Just Grillin, Shakers, Bubbas, food court at Lanterns Mall, food court at Quayside Centre, Coffee Bean. 39 Steps is a nice bistro for dinner - not as pricey as places like Champers, Tides etc. (not sure how it compares to Tapas). Prices at CC restaurant aren't bad either, and their burgers and wraps used to be good - haven't had them in a while though and the restaurant has gone through changes, so can't say if this is still the case.

Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Coconut Court or Soco Hotel - thoughts please!

Wow, thanks for all the food suggestions. In completely the opposite direction I came across Cuzz's for fish sliders (?) looked so good that I'm not sure that I can go AI now. Will have to have a chat with my wife over the weekend.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coconut Court or Soco Hotel - thoughts please!

cal21,

I forgot about Cuzz's, the fish sliders/ buns are fantastic!!!! We stopped by several times when we were in Barbados. That's all he makes.....you can have just fish, or you can add cheese and a fried egg to it. I have it with all three and some hot sauce and it is great!! Now I am salivating....wishing I could have one now.

Enjoy!!

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,291 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coconut Court or Soco Hotel - thoughts please!

My cheapie favourites are BBQ Barn (for salad bar and chicken), Just Grillin, Shakers, Mr Delicious at Miami beach, Indian grill (great rotis at these last two), Village Deli at Supercentre supermarket. Up from that I like Cafe Sol, Harlequin, then up again to the likes of Cafe Luna and last but not least the Cliff!

Montreal QC
Level Contributor
700 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coconut Court or Soco Hotel - thoughts please!

The best decision you can make imo is not going AI. You might spend more, I'll give you that, but your vacation will be so much better without AI. There are so many great places to go, great restaurants, etc. For a couple bucks you can see a lot of the island from the bus stop right outside CC. Remember we're talking about 14 days here, a little variety will go a long way. Plus some days you may not be that hungry, other days you will be, but with AI you're basically paying for your meals up front.

In regards to Southern Palms and Accra, if the price is that vastly different I would go with CC, but try out WIOL.com, sometimes booking the hotel and flight separately can save you a good amount of dough, even on CC.