We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discovery Bay By Rex Barbados

Derbyshire Dame
Level Contributor
412 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Discovery Bay By Rex Barbados

Hi, has anyone booked to stay at, what we gather, is a newly refurbished hotel? Unsure if they currently have a "soft" opening, think it fully opens towards the end of October.

Would be interested in others' opinions should anyone be staying after the refurb as we may go in late November. Our previous holiday has fallen through.

Thank you

W-D

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,055 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Discovery Bay By Rex Barbados

Suggest getting up to date on beach conditions at Discovery Bay by reading Holetown Beach Restoration on TA - work is due to be finished by Dec 1st - but unsure as to state of beach in late November.

Derbyshire Dame
Level Contributor
412 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Discovery Bay By Rex Barbados

Thank you, anothersadowner. When I enquired about the holiday nothing was mentioned about work in the area which is VERY bad.

I'd still be interested if anyone's stayed or is staying since the refurb as beforehand it had both good and terrible reviews. We don't ask for much from a holiday, clean room and decent beach will do us!

W-D

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Discovery Bay By Rex Barbados

I really don't know how they can expect to open before December--------------their beach is literally a road at present.

I know they have been doing work in the Hotel this Summer so it should be better than before and when the beach is back to normal it's in a great position in relation to Holetown. , just don't go unless blue is your favourite colour , because they have painted everything blue lol

Derbyshire Dame
Level Contributor
412 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Discovery Bay By Rex Barbados

Thanks, Westiegal3, I can live with blue!

W-D

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,055 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Discovery Bay By Rex Barbados

Also check with hotel if it will even be open and the beach usable before Dec. 1st - didn't sound promising to us either - also check if there are now 'plugs' (basin stoppers) for the bathroom basin/bath - these weren't there last winter...... If the hotel is operable and the beach functional - then this is a modestly priced hotel in a fantastic area - but as any of the Disco Bay regulars would tell you - don't expect a 5* hotel for 2* prices! - It has beautiful gardens - a large pool - and a lot of blue paint in the interior.

Derbyshire Dame
Level Contributor
412 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Discovery Bay By Rex Barbados

Thank you, anothersadowner . Interestingly on the hotel website it is showing they are taking bookings from 21st October so we shall see what happens.

It's generally listed as 3* so we know what to expect because we have stayed at several 3* hotels in the Caribbean, not just Barbados. As long as it's clean that's our main concern after a terrible "experience" at a supposed 3* chalet in France last February.

IF we booked, say with Virgin, I assume they would be responsible for providing us with alternative accommodation should this hotel be closed for whatever reason?

W-D

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,055 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Discovery Bay By Rex Barbados

Think 3* might be a bit optimistic from past history - but maybe the new reno has improved things? - have no idea what Virgin might do (we are Canadian "snowbirds" - have spent the past 25 yrs walking past Discovery in the early mornings!)

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Discovery Bay By Rex Barbados

Wheela Deala have a look at the latest posts on the Beach Restoration thread . The owners of this hotel do not seem to realise ( or should I say, accept ) that they have a problem, so you would have to check with Virgin what they would consider rendered a hotel unacceptable enough to warrant moving you to another one.

Derbyshire Dame
Level Contributor
412 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Discovery Bay By Rex Barbados

Thank you, Westiegal, have been reading the beach restoration threads so will be keeping a careful eye on things.

anothersadowner, it's listed as 3* on the Rex website and others.

Guess it's a case of wait and see if the hotel gets any feedback.

W-D

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,055 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Discovery Bay By Rex Barbados

Yes wheel-a-deala - fine - but I'd still think that might be optimistic realistically !!!