We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is my US drivers licens valid in Barbados?

Phoenix
Level Contributor
324 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is my US drivers licens valid in Barbados?

I was thinking about renting a car and driving around the island when we visit Barbados on a cruise ship stop next March. I'm not sure if my Arizona drivers licens will alow me to do this without aquiring any special permits. Anybody know?

Thanks.

Hanover, Canada
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is my US drivers licens valid in Barbados?

You'll need to purchase a Barbados drivers license. Your car rental company sells them for $5 US/driver.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
324 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is my US drivers licens valid in Barbados?

OK. Sounds easy enough. It might take some getting used to driving on the left side, but I'll take it easy!

Hanover, Canada
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is my US drivers licens valid in Barbados?

Yes the left side can be challenging for us 'right' siders, and then there are the roundabouts!

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,860 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is my US drivers licens valid in Barbados?

then there are also the street signs - difficult to see - and easy to get lost - all part of the fun!

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is my US drivers licens valid in Barbados?

For a first time visitor to Barbados, the easiest way not to get lost is to rent a car from a car rental company that offers GPS units with the rentals. This way you can at least concentrate on traffic and the road itself and not have to worry about street signs, directions, getting lost, etc.

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,284 posts
618 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is my US drivers licens valid in Barbados?

For the short time you are on property, I would suggest hiring a private driver for the day. We were able to make a plan with what we wanted to see around the island and the driver mapped out the best course. Some of the places were easy to find, but others we were glad (terrain was also challenging on the east coast) that we were glad we had left the driving to someone else.

We just did this this past Friday (10/18) and would do it again to see more of the island when we return. The cost was about the same without the worries.

Enjoy your visit!!

Edited: 23 October 2013, 16:57
Phoenix
Level Contributor
324 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is my US drivers licens valid in Barbados?

You bet I will enjoy my visit! Question though. How much would it cost me (ish) to find a local driver for 5 or 6 hours?

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,284 posts
618 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is my US drivers licens valid in Barbados?

We used taxicabby that came highly recommended here. It was $55 for each person for 6 hours. Hubby was sooooo glad as we definitely enjoyed sitting back and really being able to see all that we were driving by.

I can PM his contact info.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
324 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is my US drivers licens valid in Barbados?

Sure, I would love to have the information on the cab service you used...Thanks.

10. Re: Is my US drivers licens valid in Barbados?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2014, 04:18