We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Customs at Airport

Boston...
1 post
Save Topic
Customs at Airport

Passengers from other countries need to be aware that Barbados is absurdly behind the times in attitudes & awareness of the fact that drug addiction is a disease, a medical issue, not a moral issue. Back in May, I spent thousands of dollars for a Barbados vacation bringing my girlfriend as a present for her 50th birthday. At customs, I was stopped, brought into the supervisors office and "grilled" about my criminal history in the US. I am a recovering addict, been clean for several years, but in the past my chemical dependency got me into legal trouble because I falsified some prescriptions to feed my addiction to pain killers...Period, end of ugly story..but no violence, no street drugs, no anything but a past drug problem and I had no legal or illegal drugs with me, had been to Aruba, Antigua, St. Martin, Jamaica, Anguilla, Tortolla, Hong Kong and China all in the past with no problems at Customs. This female customs officer refused my admittance into Barbados, and told my girlfriend she could vacation alone if she wanted which had her crying uncontrollably. I tried to reason with this individual and even showed her proof that I was the team doctor for Aruba during the summer Olympics in the past...She didn't care, nor did she care that she was costing me a small fortune! I have yet to contact US Authorities over this due to sheer embarassment over the incident. How can a country like Barbados that survives from tourism be so narrow minded at their customs department?

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Customs at Airport

Did you not try and contact Barbados authorities before you arrived to see if your past history was ok for you to enter the country ?

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,308 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Customs at Airport

FYI - I heard that the Canadian Govt. is licencing 'grow ops' to produce medical M.J. (pot) - for folks who need it during chemo etc. - wonder what would happen if a Can. tourist decided to visit Barbados while on med.pot? - Get arrested? - forbidden entry? - maybe just another reason why tourism to Barbados isn't booming in Canada -

Sorry for your troubles....

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Customs at Airport

ASO,

Many people travel with medication and have their prescriptions and related information with them. That's what is necessary when travelling.

The "criminal record" of a person is available to appropriate authorities and then they make a decision on what they have and know. Unfortunately some people do get stopped from entering a country. That is why it is always best to check with the appropriate authority when travelling.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,665 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Customs at Airport

811GeneO54

Firstly, that would have been Barbados Immigration, NOT Customs.

Secondly, HM Customs has every right to deny entry to whoever they wish for several reasons. It happens every month.

Regards

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,308 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Customs at Airport

Yes Canby - we travel with presc. drugs (at our age we have to!) - but wondered if med.MJ would be treated same way as Captopril or Lipitor etc. (was thinking of customs)

Had never heard of Immigration forbidding people to enter unless there was a warrant out for them (learn something new every day)

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Customs at Airport

ASO,

Sorry to say but there are many laws out there that are applicable when someone wishes to enter a country. It is the host country that decides who they let in with their criteria. We do it all the time in Canada for many reasons.

As for "unusual" medication there might have to be an agreement between countries as not all medications are treated equally depending on the jurisdiction,country.

Edited: 23 October 2013, 21:43
Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Customs at Airport

IMO with your history of drug abuse/addiction and the criminal record it would have been wise to check with Barbados authorities before buying your ticket. I would suggest you do that before trying to enter any country since visiting a country is a privilege not a right. An immigration officer can deny entry whenever a criminal record is involved. Canadian and American border control may deny entry if there is a conviction of a crime related to controlled substance violation or a crime of moral turpitude. Why should Barbados be any different?

London, United...
Level Contributor
720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Customs at Airport

What utter Jingoistic twaddle !

I echo what BGI and BRETTSKI have said

London, United...
Level Contributor
720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Customs at Airport

Seems as though 811GeneO54 isn't the only one that's unhappy with treatment at the airport

nationnews.com/index.php/…

Montreal QC
Level Contributor
700 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Customs at Airport

I'm not saying you should have been rejected, far from it. But a criminal record is a criminal record, you may have been lucky in the past, but I've heard of people being refused into Canada because of an old DUI.

If I were you I'd be concerned about that more than the fact that you got sent packing. Time to work on getting it expunged from your record. If you really are recovered and are an honest guy working a real job, never been in any other legal trouble, you shouldn't have too much difficulty getting it expunged, although it won't be easy either.

@p_buxton I remember hearing a similar story about a Jamaican girl who was forced to strip etc and was rejected entry.

Edited: 24 October 2013, 14:06