We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

barbados?

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
718 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
barbados?

Hello. My family has been going to the BARCELO Maya palace in riviera Maya for past few years because of calm crystal clear water. I am interested in s smaller resort on Barbados possibly. Bougainvillea resort looks about right. Any input? My children are 14 and 18. Want nice Caribbean vibe

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: barbados?

Frankly we would not call the sea there calm - Bougainvillea Resort is on the south coast - towards the east side - maybe you didn';t realize that the island is roughly triangular /pear-shaped - so the east coast has the wild Atlantic Ocean (excellent for top class surfing ) - the west coast benefits from the calmer tranquil water of the Caribbean Sea and the south coast is a mixture - from calmer waters towards the southwest and rougher choppier waters towards the south east coast - as a rule of thumb - the south coast pleases folks who like wavy surfy sea for playing in while the west coast delights folks who want to float and laze and snorkel -

so maybe you might look for something further towards the south west side of the island? .

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
718 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: barbados?

I didn't realize that. I really appreciate the information. Do you have any thoughts on a possible resort? I have always wanted to go to Barbados. My family very much wants calm sea. Thanks for advice

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: barbados?

well then we would suggest the west coast in the Holetown area - lots of restaurants and bars,in all price ranges - a night club Priva which would suit the older teenager - there is also a movie theatre where one can dine-in - and as the island is only 22 miles long - nothing is very far away! - Very nice upscale shopping mall the Lime Grove Lifestyle centre - (great for "retail therapy" ) - our parish church St. James, is historic, and has a bell cast by the same foundry as the Liberty Bell - there is Folkestone Marine Pk in Holetown - an area protected from boats etc - to make snorkeling safe - Barbados is not know for its AI - there are too many nice restaurants to explore - water is safe to drink right out of the tap unlike Mexico - so no "tourista" troubles -

as we have no idea of your budget can't make a good suggestion - but many folks choose to rent a nice condo and have breakfast "in" and then eat out at lunch depending on the spot they're are visiting that day - and of course choose somewhere nice to have dinner - places like Tides on the water's edge (expensive) or Zaccios beachside or Surfside beachside - inexpensive - all in Holetown, plus lots of other choices -also - supermarket right in Holetown is excellent and carries N American products too! -

Edited: 10 November 2013, 22:44
Exmouth England
Level Contributor
682 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: barbados?

As far as the sea goes, my mum is not a great swimmer at all and does not enjoy the waves. However, we always stay at Coral Mist on the South coast and although the sea at the hotel is pretty rough, just around the corner at Accra/Rockley beach, there is a very calm part for swimming. Also further around towards St Lawrence Gap we found a beautiful beach with calm waters, not sure what it was called but I am sure some of the destination experts could help out with a name. It was a beach with toilet facilities and a beach bar ???Crystal Waters? You can also take yourself off to the West Coast for day trips anyway. I guess what I am saying is don't rule out South Coast hotels/apartments because of its rougher sea. Hope this helps. Enjoy :-)

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: barbados?

Yes i reckon you are thinking of Crystal Waters, it's in Worthing just minutes away from the Gap.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: barbados?

The property I'd recommend close to Crystal Waters is Coral Sands Beach Resort.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: barbados?

Almatt, you are right to suggest somewhere the OP will like and fit their criteria - (we all have our own fav. places, but when one goes to the "wrong' place - then visitors don't like the island - and are not pleased with TA either!)

The only time we stayed on the south coast we didn't like it at all (hated the wavy surfy sea) - luckily we had stayed on the west coast for many years so it didn't stop us from returning to Barbados - but it goes to show - choose the "wrong" spot and there can be very disappointed visitors.

Montreal QC
Level Contributor
700 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: barbados?

Don't go to Boug. Good hotel but doesn't fit your needs at all. The waves there are big (though it is a beautiful beach) and the location isn't the best.

If you want calm waters on the south coast you could look at Coral Sands. Other than that, West Coast is probably more ideal. I do agree Priva would be an awesome place for the older teen to go party.

To me, location is very important in Barbados. Do your research and choose wisely :)

PS: My parents used to go to Barcelo Maya, they go to Accra in Barbados now.

Edited: 12 November 2013, 15:29
Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: barbados?

Right on Steve P! - lets all make sure we direct people where they will be happy! :))))

South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: barbados?

Worthing is a great beach , calm , no big waves , and the reef is great for snorkelling . We were once directed to the Holetown area , and ended up staying at the Beach Club And Spa . Big mistake for us . It was way too quiet . Don't get me wrong , we love to visit Holetown beach for a day out , but we'd never stay up there again . Each to their own .