We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book Bougainvilla Resort questions about location and rest?

Level Contributor
379 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Book Bougainvilla Resort questions about location and rest?

Hi there, just in the process of booking Bougainvilla resort the end of Jan for 4 days, we weren't planning on renting a car. I have been looking at maps of the area, looks like we could walk about 2 km to the "Gap" area along the beach, spend time there and then take a cab back?. As for restuarants I was looking at The Tides, maybe Harlequin (they have jazz playing in background apparently) was also looking at waterslide, can't quite figure out if the prices on the menu are in US though, as it doesnt say, if it is US it seems a little to pricey. Anyway just looking for suggestions for restaurants in that area being that we don't have a car, but no problem with just taking a cab. As well, I need one special restaurant for a special evening I have planned, any suggestions on the most romantic restaurant in Barbados, My partner is a French Chef, so I need to pick something that has great food, thanks so much for any advice.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Book Bougainvilla Resort questions about location and rest?

Absolutely no problems with a cab we use them all the time. Take a look at The Cliff restaurant on the west coast, awesome setting and delicious food - a rail side seat is the best place to sit. There are so many excellent places to dine in barbados, on the south coast I can recommend champers but not as good as The Cliff In my opinion.

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book Bougainvilla Resort questions about location and rest?

Wouldn't say 2km maybe 1km along the beach then up to the main area of the Gap. Harlequin is a good restaurant no question but if you do want top end food definitely go for the Cliff.

I wouldn't recommend walking the beach at night just grab a cab.

If you walk the beach during the day you will cut through the side of Dover beach hotel and when you come to the start of the Gap you will see Oceans 15 facing you, they have a jazz night on Thursdays.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,055 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Book Bougainvilla Resort questions about location and rest?

Tides is in Holetown in the middle of the west coast - the resort you are looking at is on the south east coast - so will require a good long taxi ride - island is only 22 miles long - but traffic doesn't move like the autobahn or super highways - - will take about 45 mins to get to Tides - slightly less time to get to the Cliff - island is roughly triangular pearshaped - and so the east coast is the Atlantic Ocean - the west coast benefits from the calmer waters of the Caribbean Sea and the south coast is a mixture of the two - choppier and wavy, surfier towards the south east (where your resort is) and calmer towards the south west

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,014 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Book Bougainvilla Resort questions about location and rest?

For your Chef friend I would suggest Cin Cin. Just back from Paris and the wide variety of restaurants and food Cin Cin would offer and interesting selection and quality. Though Tides & Cliff are excellent alternatives.

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,129 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Book Bougainvilla Resort questions about location and rest?

Definitely try the Cliff. I now others think it is expensive, but I abolutely love it for the location and atmosphere and the "specialness" of the occasion. You would need to book as soon as you can though if you want a waterside table (you might already be too late - we booked in May for December and were booking number 4 for that night!)

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Book Bougainvilla Resort questions about location and rest?

I too would recommend Cin Cin and Champers . Your husband, I'm sure, would not find Tides, or the Cliff live up to his expectations in the quality of the cooking for the price charged. My last visit to the Waterside was very disappointing also. However, there is a brilliant chef on the South Coast called Barry Taylor . He used to chef at "The Restaurant at Southsea" ( now the Waterside ) which in many people's opinion was the best restaurant on the Island bar none. The Restaurant unfortunately closed when his father died. and he

now runs Naru. on the South Coast. His style of cooking there is different from his previous work, but last time I went it was brilliant, though the service was patchy.

If you like sushi, however, I can very highly recommend Nishi in Holetown where the food is exceptional and very good value for money IM, .but as it is not on the sea edge, perhaps not for your special night.

Edited: 22 November 2013, 13:13
warrington
Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Book Bougainvilla Resort questions about location and rest?

The Cliff gets my vote, there has to be a reason why it is one of the top 50 restaurants in the world.

It is a truly wonderful dining experience and one I am sure you would enjoy.

Cin Cin is ok but it does not have the 'wow' factor that the Cliff has, I find the interior to be modern and quite uninteresting.

Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
991 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Book Bougainvilla Resort questions about location and rest?

No need to rent a car but the flexibility to travel and see more of the island at your own pace, and not worry about taxis, will make your vacation twice as good. I've done it both ways, and it's sooo much better with your own vehicle.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
380 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Book Bougainvilla Resort questions about location and rest?

I'd go with Champers. The food is great and it overlooks the sea and it's not as far away as The Cliff and the Tides. Not too romantic riding in a taxi for an hour to go for dinner.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Book Bougainvilla Resort questions about location and rest?

Saljones. Last time I saw the list of the 2013 Top 100 Restaurants in the WORLD , ( only a couple of weeks ago ) the Cliff did not figure in it Very few Br restaurants in Britain are in the top 50, let alone the ones here. I think you must mean the top 50 in the Caribbean perhaps ?

Edited: 22 November 2013, 16:57