We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

People of Barbados !!

UK
Level Contributor
498 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
People of Barbados !!

My faith in human nature has been restored by the lovely people of Barbados. Twice we have overpaid on our food and drinks bill by mistake and twice the members of staff have chased us to return the overpayment. One even ran the full length of the beach to catch us up. We also drove into a small ditch opposite The Lone Star Restaurant where the builders were working and they put down tools and virtually lifted the car out.

Even though this is our 6th visit I never fail to notice how friendly everyone is, the wave of a hand and a friendly smile says it all - oh how nice it would be if it were the same the world over.

Ontario
Level Contributor
717 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: People of Barbados !!

Great post. :)

Canada
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: People of Barbados !!

kitchenlady,

Very nice to hear your positive comments regarding the lovely people in Barbados!!

We have also had many positive experiences, with helpfulness and kindness. That is one of the big reasons why Barbados is the wonderful place it is!!!

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,033 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: People of Barbados !!

We had a similar experience when we overpayed at Sandy Lane and they rang, emailed and everything to get us to go back and pick up the excess. It does as you say make you realise how kind and honest people are. Especially in these hard times! Fab post! Glad you have experienced again the good old Bajan hospitality!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,985 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: People of Barbados !!

Thanks for this post. I agree that this is he experience which I am used to in Barbados. What will the doom and gloom posters make of this?

PMP
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,258 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: People of Barbados !!

Great post. We love Barbados and although not experienced the things you did, we have always been greeted with lovely smiles or waves. Cannot wait till next March when we are back again.

Leyburn, United...
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: People of Barbados !!

That's why we keep on returning....for our 16th visit in March...the people are great....the island is great....

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: People of Barbados !!

Super post - thank you. Wish we could pin it.

warrington
Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: People of Barbados !!

I agree that in the main the Bajan people are kind caring people and this is what makes this little island so special.

Regarding the gloom and doom merchants - maybe they have had a bad experience and this is why they are cautious.

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: People of Barbados !!

The Bajan friendliness never ceases to amaze! That is the reason why so many people get hooked on Barbados. I love the way they stop their cars on the main roads to let you cross, where else would that happen? Certainly not in England!

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,583 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: People of Barbados !!

What a great post!

I love that everyone greets each other in Barbados, on the streets, in the banks, in the shops.

I recently returned to the UK after another lengthy stay in Barbados and tried it out here on my first day back.

I said 'Good Morning' to a man on the street walking his dog ..... he completely ignored me and looked at me as if I was nuts!

Oh to be back in Barbados!