We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Lone Star

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
549 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
The Lone Star

Is it true the Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan owns the Lone Star restaurant?

south east
Level Contributor
918 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Lone Star

Yes - that's what I was told some time ago!

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,407 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Lone Star

Yes he does. Friends of mine dined there on Saturday night. Apparently, they have the FA Cup in there too!!

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,407 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Lone Star

Yes he does. Friends of mine dined there on Saturday night. Apparently, they have the FA Cup in there too!!

warrington
Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The Lone Star

Hope to visit Lone Star in a couple of weeks, Mr. Whelan has been on our flight out many times I know he has other business interests and property on the island. His daughter has a hotel in Jersey which they have just spent millions on refurbishing it - hope Lone Star is just as successful.

Wonder if he has the RL cup there as well.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,191 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Lone Star

I have still not visited Lone Star, because I haven't heard one good report yet from anyone I know who been there.------------------------mainly very poor service and incorrect bills being cited. I long to go because it was always one of my favourites, but when Mr Whelan took it over early this year and sacked most of the main staff, reports started to be negative.

I shall now wait until the end of January when I hope, all the wrinkles have been smoothed out. I don't want to go and be disappointed like so many of my friends have been. Please let us know what you think Salijones.

Edited: 28 November 2013, 11:33
south east
Level Contributor
918 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Lone Star

I thought it had only just re-opened this month Westie?

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,191 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Lone Star

Yes it did Sunshine girl, but he owned and ran it from pretty early on this year (( can't remember exactly when as time tends to merge here )

Edited: 28 November 2013, 11:38
south east
Level Contributor
918 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Lone Star

Well perhaps he has since replaced staff since re- opening - so let's hope it performs better. I tried to get in on Xmas night - but totally full. Some of my friends are going, so I will await their verdict! :)

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,181 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Lone Star

Mr Whelan brought he FA Cup into Barbados recently to showcase at a few schools. He is always in and out of Barbados.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: The Lone Star

Had a lovely meal at Lone Star last night, menu has changed but a good choice and the staff were very enthusiastic and went out of their way to please.

Lots of the staff have been kept on so the myth that Mr. Whelan got rid of them seems to be dubious, apparently they were laid off while refurbishments took place.