We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Returning home, Canadian immigration

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,065 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Returning home, Canadian immigration

Last night we went through immigration and noticed that in Terminal 1 they have installed self service kiosks. When entering the immigration hall, Canadian citizens stay left and to the left of that are two or three banks of kiosks. You just scan in your passport, declaration form answer 2 or 3 questions on the screen (same as is on declaration form) and you're on your way to baggage pick up and customs. No immigration officer. Very quick! I don't know if Terminal 3 has the same set up, maybe someone can inform us for the WestJet passengers.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,500 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Returning home, Canadian immigration

Yes, they're in Terminal 3.

Some of the machines weren't working properly when we went through recently so some people were slower getting through.

Glad you had a positive experience.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,065 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Returning home, Canadian immigration

Yes I think it was great! They should install more!

Something else that we experienced. When we were checking in at Air Canada.. we did it at a kiosk, printed out our baggage tag etc. then it told us to go to gate F (because we were flying to Florida). We didn't see an agent and NO line up! From kiosk to American immigration, sure sped things up. Wonder if they do that for flights to Barbados....

Oh! another thing.... We better all start praying they NEVER decide to put rouge on the route to Barbados! Talk about being cramped!

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,563 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Returning home, Canadian immigration

Yes, you can print up a baggage tag when flying to Barbados from Toronto.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,910 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Returning home, Canadian immigration

What did you do with your checked baggage?

Buckhorn, Canada
Level Contributor
560 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Returning home, Canadian immigration

I just did this going and coming home from UK. Really fast through immigration, and no line up at baggage drop off at Terminal 3 in London. As for Rouge, Air Canada has switched its flight to Grenada to Rouge - glad we aren't taking that one!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,500 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Returning home, Canadian immigration

For AC there's a sign to go to the counter where it says baggage drop off. They weigh it and then put it on the conveyor. It's very quick to do. It's the only time you deal with a person if you've done the self check-in until you reach security for the airside procedures.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,065 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Returning home, Canadian immigration

Yes we have printed out baggage tags before at the kiosk but always had to go to an agent after. This time we were told to go to gate F, through American immigration and border control then dropped our baggage off at the drop off belt.

Chrisky, after printing your tags for Barbados do you still have to go to an agent?

Poor people heading to Grenada! If you are over 5'10" or slightly overweight (tray tables in your belly), want to have some reasonable entertainment be it movies, TV or music... you won't have a lot of fun! I did notice that they had some iPads that they had handed out to people but I don't know if you have to rent them. Access to entertainment is supposed to be $5.00 but because we were on the inaugural flight from SRQ... it was free... just didn't work on a tablet or laptop and the attendant didn't know how to fix it. lol The inside of the plane is nice because it is all new but the seats are not comfortable and since they squeezed extra rows in they didn't seem to remember that these extra people have carry-on for the overhead bins... so naturally there wasn't enough room and they had to gate check them... all adding to a delay in leaving the gate. Of course there were NO questionnaires asking passengers what they thought of rouge.... that would be too brave of them...

The only way I would fly rouge is in an extra leg-room seat.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,910 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Returning home, Canadian immigration

Yes, I know that, done it many times. Northern Canuck missed out that step or perhaps only had carry on bags. That's why I asked. You still have to show them your passport to drop off the luggage. Add on the time it takes to use the machines, some of which are always not working, and I can never see that it saves much time if any.

I remember when the machines were installed in Bermuda. Had to wait for the one working kiosk, in the meantime the agents were just standing around waiting for us to hand in our luggage and produce our passports of course. Refused to do the check in even though there was a problem with the machines.

They'll have us taking turns piloting the planes and handing out the coffee before long, not to mention cleaning the toilets!!!

Edited: 01 December 2013, 22:11
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,500 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Returning home, Canadian immigration

Senior65,

At certain times, particularly with the later departure from Toronto the counters are very busy so using the self check-in is quite fast and efficient. Yes, sometimes the machines are defective but generally the system does work.

NC,

You have to go to the baggage drop off point where there is an agent to weigh the bags and you show your passport and boarding pass.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,065 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Returning home, Canadian immigration

No senior, we did not go to baggage drop off. We would not have printed baggage tags for carry-on. Our baggage was never weighed, we were not asked if we packed it ourselves or if it had stuff in it that shouldn't be etc. That is why we were so surprised. As I said, we went from kiosk to American immigration/border control.

Canby, are you talking Barbados? Why would AC make you do that for Barbados (or anywhere) and not for a flight going to the states? Doesn't make sense to me....