We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

oistins visit

Isle of Skye, NW...
Level Contributor
413 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
oistins visit

We went along to oistins on Friday night and can't say I read that impressed. A bunch of street food huts with hundreds of people milling about. It was tasty but I can get the same food and service from dozens of other Street huts around the place. Won't rush back there next Friday.

But at least santa was there (sponsored by Digicel as he mentioned several times)

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,784 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: oistins visit

ARealHighlander

Well Oistins is one of our main tourist attractions, but clearly, not for everyone. Perhaps you can try it on a quieter evening.

Regards

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: oistins visit

Have to agree I didn't get the hype when we went quite a few years back and haven't returned since. Thankfully Barbados has so many great restaurants and attractions there is something for everyone.

Isle of Skye, NW...
Level Contributor
413 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: oistins visit

It is probably a main attraction because everyone says it is hence everyone goes :)

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,351 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: oistins visit

Yes I don't think Friday night at Oistins is everybody's cup of tea. It is very busy. Some prefer it on Saturday night (or at other times) when it's quieter but still with some buzz about it. When I have gone with a group of friends, found somewhere away from the traffic to sit and enjoy my food then I have really enjoyed it on a Friday evening.

Essex
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: oistins visit

We love Friday nights at Oistins but we do go for the food, the music, the atmosphere and to wander around the craft stalls. If you are going mainly for the food then, as others have suggested probably better to go on another night or eat elsewhere.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,743 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: oistins visit

" It is probably a main attraction because everyone says it is hence everyone goes "

I think that is absolutely true ARealHighlander, I enjoyed Oistins before they turned it into an overcrowded tourist attraction, by "doing it up " but now, it just it's just not for me.

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
489 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: oistins visit

Well said Westie, haven't been for 10 years, took a guest Friday night & she wondered why we took her there!, stupid commercial sponsored rubbish, dreadful speakers, comperes banging on & on about winning 5k dollars, never again. The Bajan police band a highlight though.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: oistins visit

We've gone a few times, mostly to take guests, and while the food is O.K,, it's not my favorite place to go.

I would rather get some food from the food van at Rockley Beach, and eat the food on the beach looking at the beautiful water....and I think that this food is every bit as good at the food at Oistens. Mind you I am not a fish lover.

South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: oistins visit

We've been to Barbados umpteen times and we have never been to Oistins . I just don't feel like we are missing out on anything special . I could be wrong , but I feel if I want that type of thing I can go and sit in the food huts opposite The Gap playing field.

scotland
Level Contributor
137 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: oistins visit

Lexie's is SO SPECIAL, can't beat that