We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

surf lessons

shropshire
Level Contributor
371 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
surf lessons

Can anybody recommend a place for my husband and 2 grown up daughters to take a surf lesson - they are complete beginners -(I have searched forum and cant find anything since 2012). We are staying in Holetown and as there is no car hire available in period we are there we will have to take a taxi to East coast - anybody know how much that will be? We would hope to maybe do a bit of sightseeing with rest of day. Cant wait for my first visit to Barbados - only a week to go now!!

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,571 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: surf lessons

Barry's surf shop in St Lawrence Gap are pretty good and quite popular, it would cost around 60bds to get there from Holetown.

UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: surf lessons

Also www.zedssurftravel.com on the south coast.

Both Barry and zed are fantastic

Nick

www.beachesofbarbados.com

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: surf lessons

As your daughters are beginners I wouldn't advise the East Coast. Soup Bowl at Bathsheba etc are for more experienced surfers I would go with the South Coast suggestions above. Another thing you may find is that you will see some surfing on the west coast with your visit being in the winter months. We have seen it a few times this trip when the sea has been wavy. Not sure where you could hire surf gear on the west though.

shropshire
Level Contributor
371 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: surf lessons

Thanks everybody - will try both suggestions

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,758 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: surf lessons

Agree that the soup bowl is too much for even some intermediate surfers.. I'm going to recommend Melanie Pitcher of Barbados Surf Trips http://www.surfbarbados.com/. She is an fabulous instructor..send your information via her contact info on the page.. (and if that fails.. let me know and I'll giver her a quick call for you.)..

Have a fabulous trip..

shropshire
Level Contributor
371 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: surf lessons

Thankyou - I have made contact with Melanie and she is sorting out lessons for me!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,758 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: surf lessons

awesome Fergie.. I'm sure everyone will have a great time!!

shropshire
Level Contributor
371 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: surf lessons

Just like to thank everybody for their advice- Hubbie and daughters went surfing yesterday - Melanie arranged it for them with barrys surf school on dover beach. They had an amazing time and all managed to stand up which they aren't expecting to on first lesson! Would highly recommend Barrys!

9. Re: surf lessons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2014, 06:19