We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomas Cook Airlines

Derbyshire Dame
Level Contributor
439 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Thomas Cook Airlines

Has anyone from the UK used them to travel to Barbados, please? Would be interested in your experiences in both economy and what they call premium.

Given this year's "experiences" with Virgin Holidays I don't feel inclined to book with them again although we had no issues with Virgin Atlantic. We were very lucky and were offered a free upgrade on the way out. Ironically if VH had been showing PE when we booked we'd have paid for it anyway!

Thank you

W-D

uk
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomas Cook Airlines

Hi

I travelled with Thomas Cook in Nov and had no issues - I travelled economy

They offer night before checkin which is ideal for me and avoids the check in queues in the morning - they do offer priority checkin as an extra as well

Seat back TV but there is not as much choice of films or programes as Virgin and they are at set times.

Staff friendly & polite - came around regularly to sell drinks /snacks . With TC only the meals & coffee at mealtimes is included - all other drinks need to be paid for.

Seat plan is 2-4-2 which is good for couples wanting to sit on their own - Also there seemed to be plenty of space between the extra legroom seats & the divider so there was room to walk around this part .

The sunday flight that I went on stops at St Lucia on the way out. We did overun on that - should have been there 45mins but was there 1.5hrs because the airport was busy with Virgin/BA/AA flights all in at the same time.

Bus from the plane to the terminal at BGI

Cases werent particularly quickly out - but they often arent on Virgin either .

Flight home direct from BGI to Man - cushion & blanket provided :) I slept most of the way but flight was on time & cases already on the carousel by the time I got through passport control

They were so much cheaper than Virgin /BA & to me as good as some of the Virgin /BA flights that I have been on previously , that am travelling with them again in Feb - this time on the Thursday flight via Antigua - back direct from BGI - Man

This is just Economy - there may be bigger differences in services offered in PE

Hope this helps

Derbyshire Dame
Level Contributor
439 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomas Cook Airlines

WOW, that info is SO useful, thank you very much.

Agree totally, looking at what you've said the cost differences would make it well worth our while to fly with them. Could mean the difference between going to Barbados next year viable or not as looking elsewhere the costs have escalated beyond silliness.

Many Thanks

W-D

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
549 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomas Cook Airlines

I'm travelling with TC in June, what happens when you land at St Lucia? Do you stay in the plane?

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,711 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomas Cook Airlines

Yes Xzibit, you will be required to stay on the plane.

Derbyshire Dame
Level Contributor
439 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomas Cook Airlines

When we went with Virgin to Antigua last year via Barbados we had to stay on the plane but the stewards brought us drinks and sat and chatted to us so the time soon passed.

South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomas Cook Airlines

The Virgin sale is now on and I have been looking at prices for April . Virgins sale price from Manchester to BGI on the 28th of April was £579 , Thomas Cook for the 24th of April from Manchester to BGI was £433 . Big difference . For a family of four that's nearly £600 difference for a 45 minute stopover in St Lucia. I'm pretty sure they don't have premium economy any longer though .

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
549 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomas Cook Airlines

Yes they do! We are flying premium economy in June :)

South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomas Cook Airlines

It must have been re-instated as it was definitely stopped . We started flying to Mexico with Thomson for that very reason . Now they do , I won't be paying Virgins prices .

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomas Cook Airlines

We are flying with TC in Febuary so will let you know wheela deala what it is like.

With regard to landing in St Lucia .My itinery states,

All passengers (including passengers with reduced mobility) must disembark the aircraft at the connecting airport taking their hand luggage with them to be re-screened by security.

Edited: 21 December 2013, 18:26
uk
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomas Cook Airlines

sorry MG Steve but although it may say that - that isnt what happened - we stayed on the plane at St Lucia and was talking to the crew - that is the plan going forward

When the St Lucia people fly into Barbados - they DO disembark - and have approx 2-3 hrs in Bim - they then board the plane with the Bim passengers for the flight home

Maybe that is what TC are referring to ?

I was told that the reason they get off for a few hours is so that the plane can be cleaned restocked etc ready for the flight back from Bim to Man - they have no facilities to do this in St Lucia