We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Almond Beach Village Now On Sale

Derbyshire Dame
Level Contributor
423 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Almond Beach Village Now On Sale

I see Caribbean Warehouse are offering hols from the UK to ABV from January next year. It's being marketed as a 4* which may be pushing it a bit!

Anyone interested? We used to LOVE ABV, it seemed to polarise people but we were always very happy and well looked after there.

W-D

Newbury
Level Contributor
154 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Almond Beach Village Now On Sale

Hi w-d i to used 2 love the village had lots of good memories from staying the but as I text this I am say around the pool at mango bay it's soooo sunny breezy and the staf are the best

Regards 😎

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Almond Beach Village Now On Sale

IMHO for them to pass the ABV off as a 4 star they would have had to do a major amount of work on the property from what I remember from last March. How are they hiding the run down, neglected buildings, dining area, decking, out buildings, pools at the north end of the property from the people paying 4 start prices? If they haven't really spruced things up it could end up like another Couples fiasco with hundreds of complaints posted here and on other sites. Not the publicity Barbados needs at this time.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,963 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Almond Beach Village Now On Sale

I personally wouldn't book until it is actually open either, they were doing work whilst we were at Port St Charles when we drove past but so many hotels have had opening dates in the past and not made them. I think 4 star will really be pushing it, it was supposed to be that when we stayed years ago and I wouldn't have agreed with that even then when it was really popular. I just don't get the idea of opening a small part of it and running for a year, I think they should have just got on with a proper refurb but he ho it isn't my decision to make.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,523 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Almond Beach Village Now On Sale

I agree with Uktripfan. This hotel is in such bad repair . EVERYTHING in it was sold off when it closed, from furniture, through linen, towels, wall hangings , beach chairs EVERYTHING !!

Knowing how long everything takes in Barbados, to build and knowing how all the new furniture etc will have to clear Customs ( can take months !) , I would not dream of booking this hotel until it is up and running.

I too, cannot believe that it can be worthwhile opening this "ruin" for one year, .and as for 4 star ??? Well that' I'm afraid, is only likely in your dreams unless Mr Weatherhead has direct access to Miracles on Line.

Edited: 20 December 2013, 17:42
Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Almond Beach Village Now On Sale

According to form Mr. Weatherhead is one of, if not, the most successful businessman in the Caribbean. To challenge his decision to take on this project is probably quite naive. Time will tell I guess but I would say his reputation gies before him.

Edited: 20 December 2013, 18:05
Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,523 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Almond Beach Village Now On Sale

So you will be booking to stay there then Jane ???

Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Almond Beach Village Now On Sale

From all reports about the dire straights Barbados' economy is in, the negative comments and dire predictions are not very fair...from what I have heard re the Weatherhead family from friends and guests of their hotels they are highly respected and successful business people who manage some very successful properties. They should be commended and encouraged to succeed in their efforts, not be bombarded with speculative commentary. Thank goodness they are willing to take a chance and try to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse so to speak. Barbados needs more people with vision and a willingness to put their expertise to good use rather than sitting back and moaning about it.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Almond Beach Village Now On Sale

Westiegal3 I might be tempted to stay there if the Weatherhead's live up to their reputation. I will certainly have a trip up to ABV on my next trip in a March, I applaud a man that is prepared to encourage tourism on the island.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,523 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Almond Beach Village Now On Sale

Yes I totally agree Mrs BB but then again, you have to think of the visitors and their hard earned cash as well , and I am a realist. For the sake of the economy and the very brave Mr Weatherhead , I sincerely hope I shall be proved wrong .but only time will tell.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,523 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Almond Beach Village Now On Sale

AHH Jane, March !! Well yes, you should be safe by then, but would YOU risk January ?