We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help selecting a honeymoon resort!

Clarklake, Michigan
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help selecting a honeymoon resort!

Hello everyone!

It appears my fiance and I have decided on Barbados for our honeymoon in September 2014! We are very excited because this is both of our first trips to the Caribbean. From all of my research everything says great beaches, laid back atmosphere, nice shopping, and great nightlife. We are in our early 30's and want a nice/stylish resort with great pools/beach, close to the best restaurants, nightlife (my future bride LOVES the dance floor), and shopping on the island, but where we can also be private when we want. Could some of you experienced Barbados travelers please guide me as to which resort to choose? I have looked at them all and have contracted analysis paralysis, and am also having a hard time with what is close to the things we want. Thanks a million in advance for your help. She deserves perfection in a honeymoon and I aim to mae that happen! Cheers! :)

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
12,491 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help selecting a honeymoon resort!

first decide on what type of sea water you need:

For competitive surfing - choose the east coast which is the Atlantic Ocean

for calmer waters benefiting from the Caribbean Sea - choose either the west coast or the south western coast - for choppy, surfy, wavy sea - choose the south eastern coast

Barbados is a roughly triangular pear shaped island so the three coasts provide very different sea types.

Then folks will be happy to advise their favourite resorts and the reasons they suggest them for a wonderful honeymoon - congratulations

Clarklake, Michigan
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help selecting a honeymoon resort!

Thank you for your reply. Definitely not surf worthy water. Water doesn't have to be perfectly calm. Just looking for what fits us best. We are young-ish (don't tell her I said the "ish" part.), and want something stylish and modern, that is close to great restaurants, shopping, and nightlife. When she gets all dolled up, I don't want her having to walk forever in heels, and would love an area where there are a lot of options for dining and drinking at your finger tips. Is this enough info?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help selecting a honeymoon resort!

What is your budget for the hotel?

Clarklake, Michigan
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help selecting a honeymoon resort!

Mid range-Luxury. In my search so far, I haven't seen anywhere that is out of our price range. Looking for something modern and stylish, but not too stuffy or "old."

Edited: 20 December 2013, 20:35
Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,361 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help selecting a honeymoon resort!

Well, I'd say you need to be near Holetown on the west coast or in/around the Gap on the south coast for your bar/restaurant/nightlife requirements.

Do you have a preference as to self catering, all inclusive, big resort, boutique resort etc as that will help us suggest places for you.

Rest assured that taxis are readily available to avoid broken ankles caused by teetering around in high heels in the heat on potholes! Seriously, flatter dainty sandals may be easier lol.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
12,035 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help selecting a honeymoon resort!

Have a look at Colony Club or Fairmont Pavilion on the west coast. Both are on lovely beaches and both are near to Holetown where you can eat and drink and shop until your heart's content.

However, if you are feeling really generous and your pocket stretches far enough, look at Sandy Lane for the ultimate Hotel on the Island.

ps your sentiments are so lovely, your future wife is a lucky lady .

Edited: 20 December 2013, 20:51
Clarklake, Michigan
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help selecting a honeymoon resort!

To be honest, this is both of our first trip somewhere resort-like, so we are not sure which we prefer. Not keen on some huge monster of a place with a high rise and standard hotel type rooms. Somewhere that can be tranquil but fun. Nice beach, pools, swim up bar, etc. Everything I have read told me the same about Holetown or the Gap fitting us well, and I am not really set on one or the other. Just want a resort that fits our style and location to activities, restaurants, shopping, and nightlife.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
12,035 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help selecting a honeymoon resort!

There are no monster high rise hotels in Barbados, and I think the ones I have mentioned will fit your needs nicely.

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,583 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help selecting a honeymoon resort!

Also take a look at 'The House' which is situated on the southern end of Paynes Bay on the West coast. It is modern and stylish.

http://www.thehousebarbados.com

You would have Daphnes and The Cliff restaurant close by and the hotel also has a lovely long beach.

A very short taxi ride and you would be in Holetown for your nightlife and top class shopping at the Limegrove Centre.

Clarklake, Michigan
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help selecting a honeymoon resort!

Thanks, Westigal3!

I have already looked at Colony Club and it looks appealing. Just so hard to tell what is near what we want without ever having been there. And believe me....I am by far the lucky one of the two of us. She is a rare diamond in a sea of cubic zirconia and deserves nothing but the best!