We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ramshackles Closing It's More Than Official

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,780 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Ramshackles Closing It's More Than Official

For all those who have asked questions and speculated about why it was closing here is the "official" reason. Sad but true.

From the Nation News:

www.nationnews.com/articles/view/bar-closed/

The popular Ramshackle Bar in Mount Standfast, St James, has closed its doors, leaving 15 workers jobless.

According to co-owner Maxine Depeiza, the closure resulted from her business partner’s decision to pull out of the business and the owners of the land not wishing the operation to continue.

Ramshackle closed at the end of November and Depeiza said many of her former employees were mothers of young children.

She spoke to the SATURDAY SUN yesterday as she oversaw the removal of materials which she had added to the wooden structure in 2010 after leasing the property from owners who lived overseas. (NB)

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ramshackles Closing It's More Than Official

Sad indeed .

Iroquois, Canada
Level Contributor
2,609 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ramshackles Closing It's More Than Official

Not good too bad for the staff

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,877 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ramshackles Closing It's More Than Official

Yes Canby I saw Maxine just before I left at the Limegrove Craft Fair, and she was absolutely devastated by having to let the staff go just before High Season and the fact that negotiations to continue with a new partner had been strangely blocked by the owners of the property . She said she had already taken 50 reservations for Old Year's Night.

She and Kadesh hope to find an alternative property as soon as possible , but the whole scenario had been heartbreaking. for her, her family, and the staff.

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,572 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ramshackles Closing It's More Than Official

That is a very sad photograph :(

I remember seeing Ramshackles being built bit by bit and have many happy memories of that little place as I am sure many others did too.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ramshackles Closing It's More Than Official

Had lots of good times there ,feel sorry for the employees too.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
12,317 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ramshackles Closing It's More Than Official

Feel sorry for most of the people in Barbados this Christmas season - very quiet so far - a lot of folks have lost their jobs - not going to be an easy time for them. - If you are coming visiting - please try to patronize as many of the local businesses as you can - they really could use the activity. - We have been eating out far more than usual in an effort to provide some extra revenue to local establishments.

Hastings, Barbados
Level Contributor
481 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ramshackles Closing It's More Than Official

I have been here just over 3 weeks now and i can tell you the gap is quiet most nights....just no one around..friend came in on Virgin last week and said his plane was over half empty..he upgraded to the bubble for 40 pounds and it was only him,his father and girlfriend upthere with 6 cabin crew!!!...air canada an west jet flights all seem to be full...hopefully it picks up soon because places are closing everywhere.

also was at rockley golf course last night..the redmen were playing and there were less than 12 people there!!!!

Barbados
Level Contributor
148 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ramshackles Closing It's More Than Official

I believe that there was also an issue with playing music - you can't have a bar and not play music so I guess this must have been another factor in terms of Ramshackle closure being unable to provide either recorded or live music.

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ramshackles Closing It's More Than Official

Very sad indeed, especially for all the staff who have lost their jobs. We will miss it too as it was such a lovely place to chill but we can find somewhere else, not so easy for the staff.

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ramshackles Closing It's More Than Official

Greatly disappointed ...especially as I have not been able to make it to the island for 3 years and therefore did not partake in the Ramshackles experience

Many good reports from friends who did make it ...so sad for the staff

Edited: 22 December 2013, 13:19