We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Races

lancashire
Level Contributor
64 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
The Races

Hi all,

Visiting for the first time from 17th January for two weeks. While we are there we would like to have a day at the races and I belive that both Saturdays we are on the Island the races are on.

My question is, can we buy tickets there on the day or do we need to book in advance? Also, I'm thinking just casual dress, shorts and tops would that be ok?

Thanks in advance

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
12,035 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Races

Here is the Turf Club website ----Have a look at the Visitors Guide for prices and dress code, You can purchase your ticket on the day on the way in. Have a great time .

www.barbadosturfclub.org/race-day-events/

lancashire
Level Contributor
64 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Races

Thank so much for the info,

Hoping to fall in love with the Island as everyone else seems to :-)

yorkshire
Level Contributor
76 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Races

Hi Lancashirewinny,

We watched the races last August from outside the perimeter fence. We congregated with the locals and used the betting stall there. We also purchased food and beer from the locals who pull up vans/stalls. We had a super afternoon in great company. We didn't stay all afternoon as the heat was a bit too intense for us. This is just an alternative suggestion to actually having to go into the grandstand. Enjoy your stay, its a truly fabulous island....

Newcastle
Level Contributor
446 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Races

We had a fab day at the races last July thanks to Westiegal's help and advice. A group of 7, we bought tickets on the day and sat in the grandstand. We had easy access to the bar and took food in from the stalls outside. It was one of our best experiences in Barbados.

essex
Level Contributor
333 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Races

We had a great day at the races about 3 year ago. We managed to end up in a private room next to the members bar with a great view of the finish line. 2 tv monitors on the wall , served a nice Buffett meal and 2 staff on hand as runners for drinks and bets. Don't recall it being that expensive but we didn't book it , we just went along with another group in our hotel. Don't know if you need a min number as it was just our 6 and 10 of the other group but it was a very good day event. Funny enough we are about to bout 10 nights for the end of the month so if anyone can shed some light on how to book whatever we had booked and costs it would be greatly appreciated . The other group had said at the time that they had done a speed boat ride and the owner raced a couple of horses there so maybe it's who you know

Edited: 05 January 2014, 06:53
Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
12,035 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Races

Licksmith ...............The room you describe is actually the Sponsor's Lounge !!!. This room was originally created as a Bar and Restaurant providing packages to Visitors which included entrance to the racing and a sit down lunch This was not found to be profitable, so, after receiving complaints from the owners of Sandy Lane that a box was not big enough to entertain their guests on Gold Cup day, the Turf Club refurnished it for all Sponsors to hold parties for their guests on their particular Race days .some years ago. So, if there were lots of people there, and a free buffet, you were taken into a private party! ( Security use to be really bad), although there were a lot of people in your party to have done that !! However, if you paid for your drinks and buffet? and only your friends and the other party were in there, then it is quite possible that it was a rare unsponsored day or the Sponsor of the day already had his own box in which to entertain, in which case it may be that Burt,whom I believe was the speed boat owner ? and who is a Member of the Turf Club, arranged a party for his Patrons for which you all paid.

All I can suggest, is that when you arrive on the Island, you call the CEO of the Turf Club, Mrs Peirce and ask her for suggestions and what would be available to you on the day---- Rosette is very helpful.. Wherever you spend you day at the races will be an enjoyable experience, and all you will lack will be Air Conditioning which will be made up for by the wonderful atmosphere of the Stands.

I don't know where you are staying, but if it is Mango Bay, they arrange great packages to the Races as the owner of the Hotel has a box and is a Race Horse owner himself.

essex
Level Contributor
333 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Races

Hi Westiegal, thanks for the superb update, yes it was Burt my better half has just informed me, that brought back fond memories. We did have the full room to our selves, food was included but we did pay for our drinks . It was may 2012 and there was a biggish race that did attract at lot of local interest. We have booked since my first posting and we have 10 nights from the 30th January at the newly refurbed Almond bay resort. I do remember when we last stayed we were at the waves and the almond village had just suddenly folded. I have actually moved my date forward since the link on this posting as I spotted we were returning on the 8th that being a race day so now I have booked to return on the 9th so maybe I will try to find out what we can do on the raceway. Many thanks eric

Newcastle
Level Contributor
446 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Races

The seats we had in the grandstand were right at the finishing line. It was under cover and there were several tv screens near us. It was a fantastic atmosphere. Dress was as you wished. Some people were casual, others had dressed up with formal dresses and hats. Our son enjoyed using the mini binoculars we had brought.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
12,035 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Races

You are very welcome Licksmith and I hope Rosette is able to offer you somewhere nice to sit, but failing that, as NewcastleMax says, you will enjoy the Main Stand or Owners and Trainers . If you are very lucky, there may be availability for you to pay to go in the Members if it's a quieter Race Day, you never know. but there is a dress code in there which , I'm happy to say, is upheld., however that does not include jackets and hats or anything like that.

Just a heads up, if you like good Rotis walk along the front of the Main Stand to the stairs to the Members then bare left behind the smaller stand heading towards the Pre Parade ring and Stables and directly on your right is a bar that sells fabulous Beef or Chcken Rotis for $9 each. Well worth looking for if you are hungry. Enjoy.

Edited: 05 January 2014, 16:32
10. Re: The Races

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2015, 07:18