We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time Caribbean visitors advice

jersey
Level Contributor
68 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
First time Caribbean visitors advice

It's our 30th wedding anniversary in mid May and as a treat we want to spend 2 weeks in the Caribbean, however, not having been before it's a mine field of knowing where to choose. I've always fancied seeing Barbados because of the British colonial appeal and have now looked at combining it perhaps with Grenada. Any advice would be appreciated based on the following:

We're young at heart & active in our early/mid 50's

Love eating out in mid priced restaurants

Want a restful holiday yet like to have the option of sightseeing if desired

Would like to do a little clothes shopping, so a decent town nearby would be desirable!

We're not into any kind of sports, so not bothered about beach activities

Want 4 or 5 star hotels which are lowrise with attractive grounds, preferably on a beach

I've considered all inclusive resorts, but as we're not into sports and don't drink to excess, I don't think we'd get value for our money.

Many thanks

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time Caribbean visitors advice

I would suggest you take a look at the Royal Fairmont Pavilion. It is set on a lovely beach and all rooms have sea views. It is close to Holetown for eating out and shopping. I would have suggested Sandpiper too but work commences on the beach there again in May and it could be a little noisy.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,633 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time Caribbean visitors advice

Work is completely finished in front of Sandpiper Inn- and work on the fluidizer for the lagoon/gully will be in front of Discovery Bay hotel (AI) - - so any hotels impacted would be Discovery Bay and (because it is beside the gully ) the north edge of Mango Bay also an AI

Would also recommend The Colony Club - nearer to Holetown and the lovely new upscale LimeGrove Lifestyle centre - with shops like Louis Vuitton - etc.- Colony Club is walkable into Holetown - longish walk - or a couple of stops on the bus - Holetown has all sorts of restaurants and should fit your criteria fine. Enjoy

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time Caribbean visitors advice

I would just be a bit concerned whether there could be noise from the machinery etc even though it won't be directly in front of Sandpiper... not a million miles away....just a consideration for the OP.

Montreal QC
Level Contributor
700 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time Caribbean visitors advice

My only concern is if you come to Barbados first, you might now want to leave for Grenada ;)

Portskewett, United...
Level Contributor
819 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time Caribbean visitors advice

Hi, I have been to both - Barbados twice but quite a few years ago and 11 yrs ago went to Grenada for our honeymoon. Although they are both in the Caribbean they are similar but different as well!!

Grenada was much quieter and sort of older fashioned when we were there - Barbados was far more developed and slick but in a nice way. There are very nice restaurants in Grenada - we stayed at the Calabash where Gary Rhodes jointly owns the restaurant and that was fab - but there are fewer restaurants about and you tend to travel to them (although they pick you up so you don't miss out on the rum punches by having to drive!!)

Barbados has loads of restaurants in all price ranges and a feel of "more going on".

Shopping Barbados wins hands down!

In short it depends what you want - I absolutley loved both places for different reasons - but it's Barbados I am going back to in a couple of weeks now I have the opporunity to go to the Caribbean again

Edited: 03 January 2014, 16:31
Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
58 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time Caribbean visitors advice

In Barbados, I would recommend Little Arches. It is a small boutique hotel that would be perfect for your anniversary trip. The staff are exceptional and can help you with restaurant or sightseeing recommendations. It is just across the street from a fabulous beach and walking distance to Oistins. For restaurants, you would be close to Surfers Bay, Surfers Cafe, all the restaurants in St. Lawrence Gap and, or course, Little Arches' wonderful rooftop restaurant, Cafe Luna.

In Grenada, I would recommend Calabash. It has beautiful grounds, is right on a beach, and is located close to St. Georges. If you go to Grenada, I highly recommend eating at BBs Crabback - it is so good, we ate there twice while we were in Grenada. I have also stayed at Petite Anse and highly recommend it, but it is on the north side of the island so may be a little more isolated than what you are looking for.

Neither island is particularly known for clothes shopping. In Barbados, I would shop for pottery and rum. In Grenada, I would shop for spices. Save clothes shopping for another place.

Peterborough, UK
Level Contributor
446 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time Caribbean visitors advice

As it is your first time going to the Caribbean, the most important thing for you to understand is that the sun is extremely fierce. Although the air temperature may not be much hotter than some parts of Europe in the summer, the sun most definitely is. I cannot stress how important it is to cream up regularly and take a hat and plenty of water if you go out walking.

Ok, lecture over :-)

We stayed at the Butterfly Beach hotel near Oistins on the South coast and loved it, but it is only 3 star so may not fit your requirements. Other people will no doubt recommend other hotels which is great as it gives you more options. Read the reviews on TA and then make your decision based on your requirements.

For shopping we found the best areas were Holetown or Bridgetown but don't discount other areas along the South or West coast as traveling along those coasts using local transport is very easy and very cheap. Again, along the south and west coasts there are many places to eat ranging from street food up to expensive restaurants

Keith

camberley uk
Level Contributor
229 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time Caribbean visitors advice

Tamarind or Colony Club (or many others to be honest) then Calabash in Grenada would be fantastic trip. Different islands with different feels but they compliment themselves brilliantly for a two island trip.

Did this in 2002 when we married in Barbados and honeymooned in Grenada. In 2013 went to Barbados twice and Grenada once.

Cardiff, UK
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time Caribbean visitors advice

TAMARIND would be a very good choice: lovely grounds, set on a great beach. Comfy sunbeds, hammocks.

Great walks by the sea. Close to fine restaurants - and above all caring and welcoming staff who cannot do enough for you. Also, right on an easy to use bus route to many places like Holetown nearby with many shops, cafes etc. A touch of paradise. in my experience.

uk
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time Caribbean visitors advice

Hi I have done the 2 island trip approx 3 years ago

I flew with Virgin into Barbados for 10 days then got the Liat flight across to Grenada (45min flight)for 6 days then flew Virgin direct back into LGW

Two different but lovely islands - the main difference I found is that there is a lot more choices of evening entertainment/restaurants in Barbados. The evenings seemed to be very much hotel based in Grenada - however as someone posted earlier , some restaurants will come & collect you from your hotel.

Lots of sightseeing to do on both islands and both with beautiful beaches . Personally I prefer the beaches on the south in Barbados & Grand Anse beach in Grenada but there are many to choose from on both islands There are also lots of hotels on both islands directly on the beach so plenty of choices

In Barbados have a look at hotels near to Holetown - eg Colony Club - then you would be close to many choices of bars/restaurants within walking distance or by Rockley /Worthing - though tbh I am struggling to think of any with extensive grounds ? Southern Palms in St Lawrence may also fit the criteria - beautiful grounds but the area can be quite busy though lots of choices of restaurants close by

http://www.colonyclubhotel.com/ - Tamarind is also part of this chain and you are able to use facilities there

http://southernpalms.net/

Grand Anse beach in Grenada is stunning with lots of hotels to choose from - it also provides easy access to St George - Coyaba does room only as well as AI and Grenada Grand (currently being refurbished to a Radisson) are both situated there as well as Spice Island which is stunning - but that is AI

http://www.grenadagrand.com/

http://www.coyaba.com/

http://www.spiceislandbeachresort.com

The Aquarium restaurant and the restaurant at True Blue were 2 of my favourites

Hope this helps