We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barbados for one day!

London, United...
14 posts
Save Topic
Barbados for one day!

Hello Barbados forum members!

I am currently researching Barbados for a feature on Caribbean cookery.

Time is quite tight and I only have one day on the island (I know how crazy it sounds!). I'd love to visit any markets, local food suppliers, fishermen and local characters. We want to portray the island in a positive light and give our viewers in the UK a taste of the tropical for our cold winter months!

Are there any specific dishes/ingredients you would suggest?

As this is a wonderful and honest resource for information, I'd really appreciate your input. I'm looking at visiting mid February (around the 18th!)

Thank you,

Faye

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,614 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barbados for one day!

You could visit Oistins Fish Market, even speak with some of the vendors. The ladies cleaning the flying fish are a wonder to watch. There are actually competitions to see who can clean the fish faster. They can be quite helpful in suggesting ways to cook the flying fish.

Local dishes are Flying Fish and Cou Cou, Macaroni Pie, Peas and Rice, Pepperpot, Pudding and Souse.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
12,071 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barbados for one day!

I think you simply have to meet Papa Earl , the most famous Ital vendor on the Island. You will find him just through Holetown more or less opposite the Sandpiper Inn. His vegetarian Rasta food is legendary.,Here he is I hope the link works .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLWfnXI8dPs

Edited: 09 January 2014, 15:46
Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
12,071 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barbados for one day!

Sorry I forgot to say, Earl is there at lunchtimes only.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barbados for one day!

Faye M

Definitely try Macaroni Pie! Absolutely delicious.

Regards

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
12,514 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barbados for one day!

Prior to visiting - there are some cook books by Barbadian women you might read and see what catches your interest

There are at least 3 by Jill Hamiliton

One by Mrs Morley of the Cove Restaurant,

one on recipes served at The Cliff

I'm sure there are others - but those would give you a good idea of the sorts of dishes prepared on the island

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
12,071 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barbados for one day!

ASO I don't think the recipes for the food served at the Cliff is the typical Caribbean cookery that Fay is looking for LOL

Fay, do also try a Roti ----------- a kind of Wrap stuffed -typically with beef , chicken or vegetable (and sometimes shrimp in less "local" outlets) , with or without potato in a light curry sauce. This dish can be a take away "eat out of the greaseproof wrapper" type meal or sampled in some Restaurants , Although originally a Trinidadian dish, it is eaten and enjoyed extensively in Barbados . Look for the Roti Hut at Paynes Bay on the west coast, or any "Chefette Restaurant "

London, United...
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Barbados for one day!

Thank you all so much! This is fantastic for my research, keep ideas coming!

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
12,514 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barbados for one day!

Agreed - The Cliff is not **typical** of Caribbean "cooking" but it is a well known Bajan restaurant - and the presentation photos in the book are fantastic

As for typical Bajan food - hard to beat a flying fish cutter for lunch instead of the ubiquitous "hamburger!!

9. Re: Barbados for one day!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 06:19