We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-Paid Currency Cards

San Jose, Spain
Level Contributor
62 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Pre-Paid Currency Cards

On my last visit to Barbardos, I took a FairFX pre-paid currency card, loaded with US Dollars. Despite all the assurances from FairFX, the card didn't work in any of the ATMs there. It worked in some of the supermarkets, but I needed a way of getting cash too. Can anyone recommend a pre-paid card that has been proved to work in the ATMs in Barbados?

UK
Level Contributor
611 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-Paid Currency Cards

Depends on your bank really. Check if the card has a Visa or Mastercard logo on it.

San Jose, Spain
Level Contributor
62 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre-Paid Currency Cards

This FairFX card was completely separate to any bank account - you load it with credit in advance. It had a MasterCard logo, but didn't work in any of the various banks' ATMs that we tried all over the island. There are several versions of these pre-paid dollar cards, I'd just like to know if any of them work in Barbados.

UK
Level Contributor
611 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre-Paid Currency Cards

Yes, I've used the same type of debit card in the Caribbean. I never had any trouble with them to be honest - I always tend to use Scotiabank or RBC. Others I found a bit patchy. I would contact FairFX, as the card should work.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre-Paid Currency Cards

I have the same card and I wondered if there might be an ATM -possibly at the airport- which would dispense US dollars. Fairfx have also told me that I should be able to get Barbados dollars at an ATM but with an 'out of currency' surcharge.

Fairfx (and others) now provide an Anywhere card which you load with £sterling (if in UK) and this should be ok for ATM's dispensing Barbados dollars as well as any currency anywhere.

I have had no problem with the US$ card in the US nor with their Euro card in Europe.

5. Re: Pre-Paid Currency Cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 January 2014, 08:05
San Jose, Spain
Level Contributor
62 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre-Paid Currency Cards

Hi - I've just had an email from FairFX saying that there should be no problem at any ATM showing a mastercard sign. But my experience was the opposite, and it caused me big problems, so I'm not happy about using them again without some real proof. I'm looking at others now (mentioned in a previous forum post) Scotiabank and RBC, also ICE . I also wonder if the Virgin card works there, after all they do have a rather large investment in keeping holidaymakers happy!

Leyburn, United...
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre-Paid Currency Cards

The connection between Virgin Card and Atlantic/Holidays is now very tenuous....it is operated by MBNA......However, your original problem is weird, as any card operated on. MasterCard or Visa platform should work in an ATM.. What sort of error message did the card give on the screen.......? I do not wish to appear patronising but did you do everything correctly with it, friends of mine recently complained about a debit card and it turned out they were responding incorrectly to one of the questions about which account to debit. I realise yours is a prepaid one, but I have used fairfx card in Europe and there should be no difference in ATM operation.

San Jose, Spain
Level Contributor
62 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre-Paid Currency Cards

I'm trying to remember what the message was (it was two years ago), but whatever it was my partner got the same with his. We're fairly savvy about travel abroad, and we hadn't had any problem in the States, so we felt sure it wasn't our fault. Good point about Virgin - many thanks!

9. Re: Pre-Paid Currency Cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 05:18