We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

historical sites

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
historical sites

We will be in Barbados in March via cruise ship. Are there any historical sites to see? Any recommendations on things to see?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,014 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: historical sites

Go to this link of "Things To Do" and see if anything interests you. It's at the top of the page, a green tab.

tripadvisor.ca/Attractions-g147262-Activitie…

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: historical sites

St Nicholas Abbey is a lovely place to visit and very interesting historically as well.

The Synagogue in Bridgetown is another place which has a lot of history, so much to see on this small island.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: historical sites

Visit the Garrison Savannah. Built in 1802 by the British and now home of the Barbados Army , it is next door to the Barbados Museum and houses many of the Island's amazing Cannon collection . This is the rarest and I believe, largest collection of English and Irish Cannons in the World, some of which date back to the 17th century .

The Garrison is also the Home of the Barbados Turf Club who have been allowed to build their track in these historical Grounds

I believe there is an organised tour of the Garrison , I'll try to find the link for you.

Edited: 26 January 2014, 09:35
Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: historical sites

Here is the link to the Garrison for you

http://barbados.org/garrison.htm

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: historical sites

And another interesting site

barbadospocketguide.com/barbados-attractions…

Lancz
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: historical sites

The Parliament buildings and museum next door are well worth visiting in the middle of Bridgetown.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,055 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: historical sites

You'd probably be interested in the George Washington House - if it is open at the time you are visiting the Garrison - as it is nearby.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: historical sites

Awesome information! Is this garrison within walking distance from the ship terminal?

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: historical sites

No, but it is a fairly short taxi ride Longbowman. It's just a little south of Bridgetown .

Edited: 26 January 2014, 18:32
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: historical sites

Thanks! I wasn't sure I would hear back from you so I posted another question. Since you are so prompt and knowledgeable, I will ask you directly. I'm worried about getting a taxi back to the ship from the garrison and George Washington house. Are there taxi's waiting that take you back? Thanks for responding to me so quickly....I really need the help!