We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches resort...new resort or existing being renovated?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
183 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches resort...new resort or existing being renovated?

A Beaches resort from what I hear is opening on Barbados next year.

Just wondering if anyone knew is it being built or was an existing resort bought and being renovated?

Thank u!

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,407 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches resort...new resort or existing being renovated?

Beaches Resort will not even be "started' before next year at the earliest - presently being operated as Almond Beach Resort in St Peter - (leased from Gvt. - Sandals may or may not take up their agreement with the Govt after mid 2015 - so no chance of it being a Beaches Resort until at least 2017 I'd think)

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,853 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches resort...new resort or existing being renovated?

I agree. IF Sandals follows through on their agreement, the old Almond Beach Village now Resort has to be torn down then a new resort built. That doesn't happen in a few months, especially in the Caribbean. Who knows.... maybe a deal is in the works to keep the Almond Beach Resort operational for longer than a year. Sun Group Hotels has to get their 3 million dollars back and make a profit. Stranger things have happened.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,690 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches resort...new resort or existing being renovated?

I agree as well. There is no way that resort will be ready before winter 2017/18.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches resort...new resort or existing being renovated?

Beaches is coming for 2016 and it is the former Almond Beach resort in St. Peter that they are renovating. Construction has been delayed which might affect the opening date. Sandals renovated the Couples Barbados in Oistens and just opened at the end of January 2015.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,407 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches resort...new resort or existing being renovated?

See Barbados Today paper - announced that the Beaches project has been put back to a construction start sometime in 2016 - nothing to happen in 2015 - except that the Sandals property on the south coast is to build a convention centre in addition - on the land adjacent to its present property

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,576 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches resort...new resort or existing being renovated?

Kenneth M When Beaches comes to Almond Beach Resort, as far as we understand from what Butch Stewart has said, there will be no renovation. The whole place will be raised to the ground and re built from scratch.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches resort...new resort or existing being renovated?

Any more updates on this resort's timeline/opening? I read on Beaches website "coming in 2016"... Any ideas?

Thanks!

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches resort...new resort or existing being renovated?

Any more updates on this resort's timeline/opening? I read on Beaches website "coming in 2016"... Any ideas?

Thanks!

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,407 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beaches resort...new resort or existing being renovated?

If you read the thread Jennifer T - you will see that the possible **Start** of construction of Beaches - would not occur before sometime in 2016 - that is - If Sandals goes through with it - they seem to have so many probs with the one they have up and running on the south coast - who knows if-or when the new Beaches will take place

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,544 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beaches resort...new resort or existing being renovated?

curious....what are the problems with Sandals Barbados?