We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Ottawa
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Returned on Sunday from a too short 8 day stay. I won't go into detail about all the dinners and lunches out as others do restaurant reviews very well on here and we didn't really get out anywhere special. I'll only cover three casual meals, one great, one not bad, the third awful. We stayed a week, February 7-14th + a bonus day. Bonaza Apartments. Jetblue flight SYR-JFK-BGI. Taxi from BGI to Dover - $20 USD.

The Good:

As usual, Barbados does not disappoint. Fabulous weather, even the day of arrival with the overcast skies. It was warm and a nice breeze and made the -30 at home seem a far away memory. All week was sunny/clouds with a bit of rain once or twice. Perfect beach weather.

Red flags were up at Dover, all the way to the lifeguard station between Charles and Tiger. The surf kicked our butts a few times and but we developed a strategy after the first couple of days to mitigate the face-slapping waves and be able to float relatively unscathed.

Flight was on time and even though there was no entertainment system on the plane, it was an unremarkable flight and after a brutal middle of the night drive to Syracuse, a few hours of sleep was badly needed. Jetblue supplied a $15 credit (one each way) for the lack of DirectTv. Didn't pay for an extra room seat but mine seemed to be a lot roomier than any AC flight that I can remember. Maybe I'm shrinking in my old age already?lol.

Storm came through the Northeast on the 14th and our flight was delayed. Not long after checking the first time that morning, it was delayed anouther 2 hours. At that point, we decided to try to re-book the next day as my friend would have missed her connecting flight to DEN. Jetblue promptly re-booked and said they would reimburse our cost for the extra night. YAY!!! An extra day on the beach!

That Friday night we had a quick bite to eat at Johnny Cools. The best burger and mac pie, ever. Great beachside table, nice breeze coming in, friendly service. Did I say how good that burger was? If we had eaten there the first night we may not have gone anywhere else (the waitress that gave us a couple of beers earlier in the week told us they weren't open at night?) It was the smoky bacon burger. To die for. And the macaroni pie was awesome. Highly recommended for a great inexpensive casual meal by the beach.

Bonanza - I was debating whether to put this in the "Bad" paragraph or not. I don't know that our expectations were too high as we are not looking for luxurious accommodations and normally stay at $100/night establishments. We were very underwhelmed with the room itself. The location can't be beat and the staff are extremely friendly and helpful. But the room itself was not great. Very awkward layout, uncomfortably hard mattresses, no dressers or drawers to put clothes away, tiny shower, and very little kitchen supplies. We had two knives, spoons, forks (had to ask for the forks which were promptly brought to our room); there was only a cheese grater, a slotted spoon and a flipper. one large pot and a small frying pan. We also had to ask for a coffee maker which was also promptly supplied. Nice quiet balcony out front with a table and two chairs. Wifi signal was strong and consistant. It did fade out one day but when we asked they re-booted the router and all was good.

Melbourne Inn - Stayed there the extra night. $65 for the room - it had a twin and a double bed. Very large room, good sized shower, clean. Small fridge and a microwave. Nice patio. Only one night so I can't comment on anything else. It served the purpose at a bargain price - we took it due to the proximity to Bonanza and not wanting to deal with hauling our stuff somewhere else.

The Bad

So Bonanza again. Our studio apartment was directly in front of a security light. A very high powered security light. Luckily my friend had a sleep mask from Jetblue. Without it, I doubt I would have slept much at all. We also had ear plugs. An absolute must if you're staying anywhere within shouting distance of Scotty's. Other people have commented on the karaoke, some good, some bad. I'll just say that it was loud, long and horrible. Thankfully it was only 2 nights out of the 8.

There were no cleaning supplies, which would've been fine if the room was cleaned daily. Someone came the first two days (right as we returned to the room at 5pm) and that was it. I can understand getting our own dish soap and stuff like that, but a broom would've been helpful.

Time Out at the Gap - we popped in to watch the Canada/USA women's hockey game and a quick bite to eat. Waitress wasn't very friendly, maybe she was having a bad day. The food was almost okay. We both had the slow roasted pork sandwich and it was tough and dry. Waitstaff were disinterested and looked like they wanted to be anywhere else but there. Not entirely surprising as I see it often enough in different bars/restaurants.

Shopping - messed up the packing thing and brought way too many bathing suit bottoms and only one top. Went searching for a black bikini top that was suitable for someone that isn't 12-16 years old. We only looked in the St. Lawrence Gap area sow hile there may be a great selection available somewhere else, a basic bikini is a impossible to find.

The Ugly

Dinner at McBrides. Again, just popped in for a quick bite to eat. It was disgusting. Everything from the service to the food. Fries were undercooked and lukewarm, my burger was just gross, mushy and tasteless, my friend's fish was equally bad. Great place to hang out and drink later at night, but doubt we'll ever eat there again. The menu has changed from the last time we were there 2 years ago, not sure what they're trying to accomplish with the new one.

The topless girl on the beach with the butt floss bikini. Just because they have it in your size doesn't mean you have to wear it.

Scotty's Karaoke- brutal

Flight home - Left on time but the pilot came on and said the flight would be closer to 5 hours as he was swinging wide to avoid some weather. We were actually on the plane for 7.5 hours. 1.5 hours in a holding pattern and another hour or so sitting on the ground waiting to get to the terminal. It seems a few inches of snow in NYC broke the airport. Connecting flights were delayed so that part worked out ok. Made it to SYR at 2am. 45 minutes to dig out the car and a another brutal trip down I81 in the snow. grrrrr.

See you next time Dover Beach!

London, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Where abouts is Johnny cools

Ottawa
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

It's at the entrance to Dover Beach on the left hand side.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Just to advise.. shopping.. we live on an island surrounded by water with even temps between 70f and 90f year round.. you would think a decent reasonably priced swimsuit would be very much available.. it is not. I don't purchase swimsuits in Barbados.. only purchase in the US when we travel.. my size (extra larger) is not available here without spending over 300.00BBD,if you can find it. and one for my standard size daughter is just too expensive... a bathing suit top is not easy to find and would likely have set you back the cost of a room per night.. having said that.. it does depend on where you get it.. but.. if you didn't know, you wouldn't have any idea.. ( I do have swim suits made for my daughters.. and very happy with what I get and what I pay.. which can range from 30.00usd for bottoms and 40.00usd for the tops..tankini top..) and yes.. you would think that places in the gap would have swim suit bikini top and bottom and at reasonable prices.. that would be a wrong assumption... Next time.. pack better...

Regarding the topless sunbather.. it is actually against the law in Barbados to be topless, even on the beach.. however. the police just stand a gawk . soo...

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,014 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Sunnie, You must mean they're taking their eye tests to make sure they focus properly. :-)) not gawking surely?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

yes.. that would be a better response Canby.. I recall several years ago at a beach I frequented .. watching 2 Police officers standing there.. doing exactly that.. taking eye tests.. cause they certainly were not doing anything about the 2 girls on the beach, topless.. and honestly.. I'm not a prude.. and fine if you are lying out in the sun.. however.. these were not.. walking around and going into the sea.. among other things...

Yorkton, Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Thanks for the trip report. Had a chuckle while reading it as I must agree with your assessment of McBrides. We too just returned from a 2 week stay in St. Lawrence Gap and McBrides was by far our worst meal of the trip. Exceptionally bad, slow service (it took over 1/2 hour for them to bring our drinks, 2 beer and a diet coke) and the food was not much better!

South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Where's the best place to get an eye test . LOL

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,784 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Can you get an eye test on Heywoods beach??? Haha

South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

With the bus fares being cheap , I'm prepared to travel for a good eye test .......

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
387 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Is it really advantageous to fly out of Syracuse as opposed to Ottawa?