We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative hotel to Sandals Barbados from April to December

Christ Church...
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Alternative hotel to Sandals Barbados from April to December

Has anyone reading this forum who had already booked to stay at Sandals Barbados from 1st April - December 2014 been offered and received a full refund and was able to book an alternative hotel on Barbados?

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,891 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternative hotel to Sandals Barbados from April to December

Yes P&C I was wondering just that having read the Nation yesterday .

Interesting question !

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,010 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative hotel to Sandals Barbados from April to December

What did it say in the Nation Westie? I missed that. I would imagine most people have swapped to other Sandals resorts sadly for Barbados as the deal would have been so good, being offered an alternative that would normally cost a lot more than what you had paid for Sandals BGI I would imagine would have been too hard to resist. People did say they were offered the chance of a full refund P&Q in earlier threads....not heard of anyone taking that option yet so will be interesting to know.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,891 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative hotel to Sandals Barbados from April to December

The Article is headed "Big Plus" ----Sandals offers to redirect guests to other resorts

It goes on to say that Sandals is already having a positive impact on the tourism sector and Gordon Butch Stewart, chairman of Sandals said bookings for Sandals for the period April to December during the traditional slow period were strong and could be redirected to other hotels .

Stewart states "Our guests are given the option to cancel their bookings with us for the Summer and stay at other resorts in Barbados whilst we are upgrading "

The Article goes on to speak of the renovations necessary to the property and Stewart points out that "many of Sandals' guests are repeat visitors who had shown quite strong interest in Barbados and had relocated their annual vacation to the Island from other Caribbean destinations".. He ( Stewart ) goes on " When we analyse the booking trends of many of our loyal Sandals Select clients , we have observed a significant shift to Barbados since we commenced operation late last year."

The Sandals chairman added " In most cases the consumer never communicates directly with us, but with their tour operators and travel agents. We cannot demand where customers book, but leave the door wide open for them to make choices ".

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,891 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternative hotel to Sandals Barbados from April to December

ps That last statement seems to me to read that although Sandals "fully" supports Barbados, if their guests are not given the chance to change to other Hotels on the Island , it will be the travel agent's fault not Sandals.! Hmmmm!

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternative hotel to Sandals Barbados from April to December

"Sandals is already having a positive impact on the tourism sector "

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

"...had relocated their annual vacation to the Island from other Caribbean destinations"

Based on the comments of the Sandalizers here, I'd say that's only because their beloved resort chain offered a new location. The vast majority of them seemed to consider visiting only Sandals properties. I agree with UKTF that surely most of them will simply switch to other Sandals locations so they can keep their butlers, reward points, inclusions, etc.

Christ Church...
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternative hotel to Sandals Barbados from April to December

I had the opportunity to personally ask Mr Gordon 'Butch' Stewart at the Barbados Chamber of Commerce and Industry monthly luncheon meeting yesterday about the level of conversions to other hotels on Barbados. In fairness to Mr Stewart, he stated that he did not know 'exactly' but estimated that between 40 and 60 per cent of guests already booked for Sandals Barbados had transferred to other Barbados hotels.

As Sandals collect the vast majority of their revenue offshore, I also asked the question roughly what percentage comes back to Barbados. He did not answer and stated that the question was 'impertinent'.

The only other question asked of Mr. Stewart was by Patrick Hoyos, a well known local journalist about the plans for construction and operation of the proposed Beaches. Mr. Stewart was unwilling to respond.

There is an article in Barbados Today entitled 'Sandals Chairman rebuffs hotelier'. Just to state for the record that almost all the article is erroneous and I have asked for a retraction.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
12,333 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alternative hotel to Sandals Barbados from April to December

Thanks for trying to get some helpful info P&Q -(not that it is our business - but none the less...) -

That is one of the big issues we have with the Govt allowing AIs on the island - "40-60% of the revenue staying offshore" -no wonder the hotel like it - ...but apart from some "jobs" poor old BIM doesn';t benefit that much.

warrington
Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Alternative hotel to Sandals Barbados from April to December

I think there is a lot more benefit other than some 'jobs'.

Some people especially people with families like to know there are no extras and possibly this is one of the reasons AI's do well. Not for everyone I know but in order to attract visitors to the island this facility needs to be available. I was speaking to a lady who owns a small farm, she told me she provides eggs and vegetables to 3 of the AI's on the island and she was very happy with the arrangement.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alternative hotel to Sandals Barbados from April to December

PeachandQuiet

Good to see some clarification regarding that Barbados Today article. I was shocked when I read it last night.

Regards

London, United...
Level Contributor
803 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alternative hotel to Sandals Barbados from April to December

We have been affected by the Sandals closure but have chosen to stay with Barbados at an alternative resort.

We could have opted for another Sandals resort but we chose this location because we wanted to spend our 12 days in Barbados, the resort was almost immaterial. We originally booked last July when it was Couples, chose to stay when Sandals bought the property, were very disappointed when Sandals decided to close, thought about moving but, for various reasons, we decided to stay on the island.

We love Barbados, love the friendliness of the people and the whole vibe, we couldn't think of anywhere else we'd rather be to spend my special birthday, especially as we spent my last special birthday there 10 years ago!