We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free spending money

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
263 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Free spending money

Hi

I have just received a newsletter from the Barbados tourist board about the free spending money and it states that Continental European Travellers can claim this money so as a British person who is a member of the European union would I be considered a European traveller.We are already booked for June and staying at The Crane ,however we may book for December as well,we are also considering Dubai as the flights are so much cheaper.If we could get the free vouchers it would be a great help with the decision as we were looking at Coral Mist for the December trip.

Our friend said she received them last year and they where really useful ."The Continental " part of the phrase is what has confused us as we consider ourselves European ?

Thank you advance Rkaty

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,145 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free spending money

Why don't you contact them and ask? That way you have a definitive answer.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free spending money

Yes as someone traveling from Uk you are eligible but it depends how and when you booked. I don't think you be able to claim for existing booking but should be able to claim for proposed holiday.

Have a look at Visit Barbados website for full details.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
263 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free spending money

Thanks ,

for the replies I have had a look at the website and I am considering booking via the website for the accommodation.I was considering giving them a ring to confirm that UK is included. Only because I thought I had read somewhere that the UK were not included ,however my neighbour has said she received them last year without any problems.

Thanks again rkaty

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
263 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free spending money

Well I went on the website to have a look at the prices booking direct,and the Coral Mist was reasonable so we thought we would check about the spending money before we booked.I clicked on the live chat one of the advisor's told me that as we were from the UK we will not receive the free spending vouchers .The advisor Holly gave me the phone number and e mail address for BHTA,"info@bhta.org"

So I have just e mailed them and asked why the UK is not being included as we are a member of the European Union !

Not sure why Barbados would exclude the UK for this promotion,very dissapionted :-(

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,347 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free spending money

Sorry but my reading of the website is that the offer specifically excludes the UK (and in general use so does the term "continental Europe").

http://www.visitbarbados.org/islandinclusive

www.bookbarbadosnow.com/island-inclusive

bookbarbadosnow.com/assets/pdf/promotion-det…

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,347 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free spending money

I meant to say that it is surprising that UK visitors are excluded from the offer.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
263 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Free spending money

Thanks Almatt

I had not found the 3rd link that you provided ,which clears it up,however I would love to know why the UK has been excluded from this promotion?And why are they sending e-mails to British people knowing we are not included.

We will most likely now book Dubai as we were just looking for some winter sun and it is very affordable,which is a shame as we do love Barbados we have only just returned and are heading back May /June for three more weeks so another 10 days in December would of been nice.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,347 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Free spending money

The BTA is a mystery to me! Maybe P&Q, InBarbados, BGI or others can offer some insight??

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Free spending money

rkaty ---------------don't book Dubai instead just because of the non availability of this offer. The beach is far too oily in Dubai lol and it is just not the same . Stick to the Paradise in the Caribbean, Barbados !!

Edited: 26 February 2014, 20:49
Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Free spending money

Waw Dubai is awesome the hotels are magnificent and the beaches are to die for.

Totally different holiday from Barbados but I can understand your reasoning.