We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horse Racing

south yorkshire
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
Horse Racing

We will be in Barbados on the 22nd March and looking at going to the races. Not sure whether we will be hiring a car, but the wondered how easy it would be to park around the Garrison area or perhaps better to go on the bus from the west coast?

Any advice appreciated.

Lancz
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Horse Racing

There is plenty of parking around the race ground on race day. However if you enjoy a small libation on the day you may prefer to go by bus. Either way it's a great fun afternoon out !!!

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,216 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Horse Racing

It is very easy to park up there. If you get there early there is an area used for parking directly across the road from the main stand.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Horse Racing

You are actually not allowed to park across the road from the Stand unless you are very lucky and catch a time when the parking official is not there. This parking is for Sponsors and Officials first and even Members struggle to get in at times. Parking is not that easy on a busy race day, unless you go very early.

The bus stops outside the Stables and is probably the better option ( or taxi )

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Horse Racing

Here is the Turf Club website which includes a Visitors Guide in case you have not seen it

http://www.barbadosturfclub.org/

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,216 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Horse Racing

He he. I must have been lucky each time then! A nice man waved me in there.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Horse Racing

Yes Babiface he must have liked the look of you. Ha Ha Most days, many Members have to park up the road opposite the stables. There are usually places to squeeze into, but in all honesty the bus is the safer option especially if you like a drink -------------------and having a drink sort of goes hand in hand with Horse Racing doesn't it ?

I am fretting over getting home from the Gold Cup because my friend will leave her car at the Garrison and it is very hard for taxis to get up the road to the Stand on G C day.--------------it's often better to arrange to meet one at the bottom of the road near the Rubis Garage.( if one can still walk in unsuitable shoes lol )

So Gold Cup goers, be prepared for a long wait going home, be it in a car or taxi. Either leave early or if you have the stamina, stay and party until the crowd has diminished, just like Derby Day or Royal Ascot in the UK.

Edited: 05 March 2014, 13:13
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
182 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Horse Racing

Can threads be deleted on the grounds of jealousy? :(

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Horse Racing

Oh Gary b, don't be jealous. Think of all the stress you are avoiding by not going to the Gold Cup. -----------------partner's new dress, shoes etc, how to get there and back, what to bet on, and what to drink ( There will be a proper Champagne Bar for the first time this year organised by Piper Heidsick and Wine Barbados )

Just make sure you book your holiday in March next time !

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
182 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Horse Racing

Westiegal3...when you put it like that..........I'm still jealous lol. Hopefully racing will be on when I'm over in March / April next year. We're over in August this year (no racing when we're there). The Epsom Derby is a annual event for me..so hopefully one day I'll make the Gold Cup!!

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Horse Racing

We go most race days during the season and always park along the road on the approach to the stands no problem. But for Gold Cup we usually park at Rockley Beach and take a taxi the rest of the way from the rank there. We've never had a problem walking out and catching a taxi outside pretty much straight away.