We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtle Excursion

Richmond, Kentucky
Level Contributor
54 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Turtle Excursion

My boyfriend and I will be stopping in Barbados on our cruise in September. I would really like to swim with the turtles, but the excursion from our ship is $70 each, which I think is a bit steep. I've read other posts that talk about swimming with them from a beach. Is that possible and close to the port? Or do I need to book with my cruise? Thanks!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,911 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turtle Excursion

US$70 is reasonable, but depends how long and what you are getting for your money. Must trips on a catamaran are approx US$90. For that you get picked up and dropped off, 5 hour cruise, swim with turtles, separate swim over a wreck and coral all snorkelling gear, drinks and lunch with a beach stop.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turtle Excursion

The catamaran trips never appealed to me. Although I, too, find them pricy, I probably wouldn't go if it were free.

Richmond, Kentucky
Level Contributor
54 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turtle Excursion

Dama, it is a 3 hour trip to see the turtles and a second stop at a ship wreck.

DEA, I tend to agree. I went snorkeling in the Bahamas and got so sick on the return trip. I'm not sure if it was the water because it was a bit rough that day or just the boat in general. I really want to see the turtles though, which is why I'm curious about just swimming off a beach to see them.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turtle Excursion

If you're a moderately good swimmer, you can swim out from the beach at Payne's Bay to where the turtles feed. Bring condiments!

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turtle Excursion

KentuckyRaven,

What damasust said is correct it is a 5 hour trip and not a 3 hour trip unless you are doing a sunset cruise.

DEAinATL, each to their own but thank god i go on the cat's because they are literally one of my highlights of the holiday !

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,911 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turtle Excursion

Bretski - looks like as this trip is from a cruise ship a shorter excursion has been arranged and on that basis US$70 seems overpriced. Probably with Tiami who jam them in!

Kentucky - sea sickness is not a feature of Cat trip. A fantastic day out.I have lost count of the number of trips I have done over the years. Might be worth paying the extra and trying to arrange for the likes of Cool Runnings picking you up from the ship.

Alternatively, a taxi to the likes of Paynes Bay or Alleynes Beach and swim out from there. You will easily see where the turtles are because the Cats will be all around. You may be able to hire snorkels etc from a vendor on the beach although not sure about Alleynes anymore following the closure of a bar who previosly facilitated hire of sunbeds etc.

It is possible also to pick up a cheaper trip on a glass bottomed boat or the like from some areas which would be cheaper than the Cats.

Edited: 21 March 2014, 08:34
Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turtle Excursion

Yes maybe you are right concerning Tiami - went on that cat a number of years ago and it was ok but these day's wouldn't go on for free because it IS cram packed.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turtle Excursion

There is absolutely no need to take any 'condiments' as you say DEA to feed the turtles. If you swim off Paynes Bay or Alleynes Bay you will see them and be able to snorkel with them. I would advise a marker buoy or high vis floatation vest as both areas can get busy with boats. I agree with Damasust I would pay a bit more and do a trip like Cool Runnings. One of the highlights of our trips.

PMP
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,236 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turtle Excursion

We went with Calabaza yesterday and the whole time was perfect. Only 12 people on board and Gina (the owner) made it like a private party - getting to know all your names. From the very start of being picked up from our apartment through to being dropped off again later was faultless. The food and snacks were lovely. The crew were great.

Richmond, Kentucky
Level Contributor
54 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turtle Excursion

Thank you all for the information. I will look into the companies that have been mentioned :)