We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sugar Cane Club Hotel and Spar v Island Inn Hotel

MANCHESTER
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sugar Cane Club Hotel and Spar v Island Inn Hotel

We are looking to book Barbados next March for our 65th Birthdays.

We have narrowed it down to 2,SugarCane Club and Spar or Island Inn. Have done a lot of research but cannot decide, We like a hotel on the beach which Island Inn has and is a nice walk into Bridgetown, but Sugar Cane gets v/good reviews any advice would be welcome.

thank you

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,345 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sugar Cane Club Hotel and Spar v Island Inn Hotel

You mention being on a beach is important but Island Inn is not on a beach. The beach is across the road though.

For style and quality Sugar Cane is better.

Being close to Bridgetown isn't that important as there's more to do in other areas such as the west coast in the Holetown area. More restaurants and shops.

For a 65th Sugar Cane is better.

However there are numerous other hotels that are on the beach such as Tamarind, Colony Club etc.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
11,319 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sugar Cane Club Hotel and Spar v Island Inn Hotel

Ditto, every thing Canby wrote - no way does the Island Inn compare and as said - it is certainly not on the beach - it is inland and one has to cross the road to reach the beach - Sugar Cane Club is not beachfront either but is a better standard of hotel in OHO - so we also would recommend places that are actually on the beach, if the budget allows, for a "special holiday" - The Colony Club is one of our favourites - but if you are looking for an AI - how about looking at Amond Beach Resort in St. Peter - an easy short bus ride into Holetown with all its restaurants and bars and interesting places to either window shop or visit - or a short walk into the little town of Speightstown for a look at "old Barbados":

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sugar Cane Club Hotel and Spar v Island Inn Hotel

Sugar Cane is the higher standard of the two but you will need to use their shuttle bus to get to the beach. I wouldn't describe Island Inn as inland - it is literally across the road from the beach. Kinnie, if you are looking at smaller AI hotels then take a look at the SoCo. I think that you book it through Tropical Sky if booking from the UK.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,167 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sugar Cane Club Hotel and Spar v Island Inn Hotel

Sugar Cane Club is a lovely Hotel by all accounts, but it is in a residential area, a good distance away from the beach, shops, bars and restaurants, although they do provide a Shuttle to Speightstown and the beach I believe. I went to a function at the Island Inn the other week, and thought it was quite cute, but not a place I would want to stay, nor an area I would want to stay in.

Look at Island Inn's big sister Mango Bay Hotel, which is also an A I resort but is off the main Highway right on a beautiful beach in the centre of Holetown, close to everything you could need to make your holiday special, and is IMO a far superior Hotel. ( I live next door to it, so know it well.)

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sugar Cane Club Hotel and Spar v Island Inn Hotel

One main difference is the you can walk across the (quiet) road from Island Inn to the beach. You can't do that from Sugar Cane Club. Having said that though, there's not a whole lot else in the area other than Brown Sugar restaurant, the Barbados cruising club and the Hilton. There's a small strip mall with a couple of places to grab a little something to eat. With the Sugar Cane Club you can use the shuttle to get around fairly easily. Having said all of that and if being on the beach is a priority maybe you should take a look at some of the alternate hotels suggested by the other members.

MANCHESTER
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sugar Cane Club Hotel and Spar v Island Inn Hotel

Thanks for all your replies, the 2 hotels were within our budget . Having spent a few days

reading lost of reviews on these 2 hotels and others we kinda narrowed it down to these. This is the first place we look when deciding which hotel ticks most boxes for us, time to ponder and a bit more research needed

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sugar Cane Club Hotel and Spar v Island Inn Hotel

Hi

Just read your message so thought I would add my comments about Sugar Cane in case you haven't yet made a decision.

We've been back 2 weeks from a wonderful fortnight at this hotel. The hotel gets many return guests and is very quiet and relaxed and the average age of the guests I would say is 50+. Yes it is slightly inland but as has been said you can take the shuttle bus to the Almond Beach which is the sister hotel.

We visited the Almond Beach whilst we were there and although it has more facilities as it's a bigger property and is on the beach, the Sugar Cane feels more intimate and relaxing. It's also an adults only hotel.

If you do decide on the Sugar Cane, I would book soon as I understand it does get booked up quickly due to the relatively small size and the return guests.

Hope this helps, please feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

8. Re: Sugar Cane Club Hotel and Spar v Island Inn Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2015, 05:15