We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA or Virgin? (Economy)

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
BA or Virgin? (Economy)

Hi,

We're travelling out to Barbados in August this year and there is virtually no difference in price between BA and Virgin. We flew with BA on the 777-200 to the Maldives earlier this year, in economy, and found it very comfotable. Seemed to be one of the refitted/upgraded planes? So....are the same refitted BA planes used to Barbados? Or, would you say that the Virgin planes (would be A330-300 on way out and 747 on way back) are better for the Barbados route?

Sorry if I have put this in the wrong section!

Thanks,

Fran

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA or Virgin? (Economy)

I have generally chosen Virgin, but I am currently in Barbados having travelled with Thomson on a charter flight from Birmingham! Not done a charter flight for years, but was pleasantly surprised. Fare was £305, but we paid £115 extra (each) for extra legroom (I'm tall with long legs), and £75 for hold luggage (makes Ryanair look cheap!). It was a last minute booking so may not always be this good value. Most of the passengers were joining the Thomson cruise ship. Even with the extras, it was still cheaper than BA/Virgin.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,859 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA or Virgin? (Economy)

Mouse1982

I personally choose BA over Virgin and the service standards on BA are substantially higher. For a consistent product, I would say BA in any of their four cabins anyday.

Regards

Level Contributor
565 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA or Virgin? (Economy)

I have booked BA return in the sale in January and while it was a good price it is still v expensive. However what irks is BA looking for GBP 28 per person per leg or GBP 112 roughly 140 Euro in total to get 2 seats together preassigned.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA or Virgin? (Economy)

Thanks all for your answers - much appreciated.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,859 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA or Virgin? (Economy)

Biccus8

Just so you know, Virgin will be charging for seat selection from April 1 as well on all routes except those to Japan. It will be a minimum £25 per person one way. So that's £100 return for a couple.

Regards

Level Contributor
565 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA or Virgin? (Economy)

BGI

Its not good! Flights expensive enough without that! Its the Ryanair syndrome!! What can u do though.

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,327 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA or Virgin? (Economy)

I for one, won't be paying it.

I will take my chances for the first few flights and get to the airport early and see what I get..

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA or Virgin? (Economy)

No I won't be paying it either Babiface. We will take our chances too. Or we will be on a TCX flight!

Level Contributor
565 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA or Virgin? (Economy)

Problem is we are coming from Dublin and while its one ticket Dublin London Barbados I can only check in online on the Dublin leg ti London and I can do this 30 hrs in advance I cannot do the London Barbados leg til I arrive in London. BA policy allows one book seats for free 30 hours online in advance. Therefore I mite be stuck with separate seats! Not happy!! BA needs to think out its policy before it implements it! Unhappy clients!!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BA or Virgin? (Economy)

Hi all, just seen today that VA are delaying the pay-for-seat system until at least June. Until then, you will be able to book/request your seats 60 days in advance of travel.