We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High seas in Barbados

Manchester, United...
13 posts
Save Topic
High seas in Barbados

Morsetarquin

Manchester, United...

We went to Reids beach yesterday (29.03.2014) expecting to relax as per usual but we thought we'd somehow ended up in Bathsheba! The waves were huge and I think all the surfers had rushed over from the other side of the island to enjoy these spectacular waves. We sat and watched some brilliant surfing until we had to leave the beach because the waves were beginning to sweep across the road! Truly amazing! This is my 10th visit and I have never experienced seas like this before. Thanks to the surfing fraternity for the wonderful displays! Just wild!!!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,072 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: High seas in Barbados

Yes, it has been quite windy at times, the surf has been high everywhere. We we're walking the board walk near Folkstone the other day and quite often the waves ran over the rocks and onto the boardwalk. The same thing yesterday on the boardwalk on the south coast, the wave action was quite strong.

Oh well, the spray was refreshing, the surfers and boogie boarders were having a great time, only yellow flags were out and many people were enjoying the water and waves.

So guess what? Back to the beach this morning for another great day, it's sunny with a few clouds and a nice beeze.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,569 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: High seas in Barbados

We had very rough, high seas on the West coast yesterday ( don't know about today yet. Our new reef appears to be working and bringing our beach more and more sand.

These high seas are normal at the end of March and we have been waiting for them to test our new defences, So far, a resounding success!

Funnily enough, Moresetarquin , when the West has these seas in March, the East coast can be exceptionally calm, but this is obviously not the case this time.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,376 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: High seas in Barbados

Yes - I posted on the Holetown Beach restoration thread yesterday - red flags everywhere - massive seas - first real storm we have had all winter - was wild - (but has "fixed" our beach -just as project engineer promised would occur -if/ when it happened ...been waiting all darn winter but finally yesterday - massive storm) - all over now - but can well believe that it was something to see at Reids -(they don't even have our submerged reefs - groynes, and revetments, and the waves were breaking on them - not of course like they were out on the point at Folkestone )- and from what you write sounded even rougher at Reids - didn't see any surfers at Folkestone. - at least not when I was watching. However storm has done a superb job of restoring Discovery Bay's beach - smooth, and lovely all the way from the hotel and garden wall, right down to the sea -

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,569 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: High seas in Barbados

Whoops,just noticed the OP was at Reids ! , so, was it calm on the East Coast I wonder?

Incidentally, in the past I have seen waves clear the roof of Discovery Bay and fill up their garden like a swimming pool at this time of year.

Edited: 30 March 2014, 13:49
bristol
Level Contributor
354 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: High seas in Barbados

Wow where is Reid bay?

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: High seas in Barbados

You're kidding Westie....

Just have to rub it in eh Canby? lol Sunny no clouds slight breeze +10 instead of +27 though. Oh and no beach yet. haha

Edited: 30 March 2014, 21:56
Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,569 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: High seas in Barbados

Claire S Reids Beach is a very small beach on the west coast north of Alleynes Beach and south of Gibbs / Mullins. The beach is only the length of the condo building that sit on it ( Reids House , where Cilla Black has a home ) and a couple of smallish villas.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,376 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: High seas in Barbados

No - at one time Sandpiper lost their beach (it went to Discovery Bay) - and Discovery Bay has had its garden full of sea water -

when Sandpiper's beach went to DB it required a bulldozer to push sand back into the sea -(not that it went back to Sandpiper) -but at least DB people could get out onto the beach - over the years there have been strange happenings on that beach - but must say our new submerged reefs are terrific.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,072 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: High seas in Barbados

The seas were calmer on the south coast to-day, many youngsters enjoying the boogie boarding, many people enjoying the waves and the water was fantastic. The beaches were not crowded with many local families enjoying themselves. It was sunny, a few clouds as usual, a nice breeze to keep the heat in check. Just another day in paradise.

Yes, NorthernCanuck some do have to make sacrifices. :-)

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,639 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: High seas in Barbados

Heard this evening that a swell had come through but likely that's it for the season.. heading on out in the next few days.. soo.. maybe things will calm down.. I have photos from the end of March swell from a few years ago, that big waves around the Mullins/Speightstown Area