We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barbados Arrival on a Sunday... holiday Monday? Food ideas

Vancouver Island...
7 posts
Save Topic
Barbados Arrival on a Sunday... holiday Monday? Food ideas

We are set to arrive in a week on Sunday afternoon. I see that the following day, Monday the 27th looks to be a holiday?

We had planned to grocery shop and do most meals in house as we are staying in Fitts Village.

I'm looking for suggestions of where we could eat (child friendly) or pick up food during this time, perhaps on our way in from the airport? Are stores/ restaurants open on the holiday Monday (if it is a holiday?) We won't be renting a car until a little later into our stay. We are close to Jordan's supermarket for the future but I think it's closed Sundays?

Any advice appreciated!

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,419 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barbados Arrival on a Sunday... holiday Monday? Food ideas

Melissa, I think you mean Monday the 28th April . That is National Heroes Day, and all Supermarkets will be closed, but you will be able to get provisions to tide you over at your local Gas Station, and all restaurants and bars should be open.

For the best option shopping after the Bank Holiday I would suggest to use Supercentre in Holetown ( where you will also find the biggest selection of restaurants ) which is a taxi or bus ride north of where you are staying.

Supercentre has a much better selection to choose from, although Jordans is cheaper for some things

Edited: 20 April 2014, 00:00
Vancouver Island...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Barbados Arrival on a Sunday... holiday Monday? Food ideas

Oops, yes I did have Monday April 28th in mind.

Thank you for those suggestions!

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barbados Arrival on a Sunday... holiday Monday? Food ideas

I will also be staying in Fitts Village and can tell you that your are correct in that Jordans supermarket will be closed by the time you get there on the Sunday and on the Monday.

I would suggest inquiring as to whether the people you are renting the house from could provide you with some essential groceries and pay them when you get there. This is a usual practice at most rental properties.

There is a large gas station South of Fitts Village at the roundabout at start of the Spring Garden highway but is just too far to walk to and from with groceries. You would be able to get essentials from there on the Sunday and Monday though as they would be open.

If I was in your position then I would get a bus in to Holetown early on Sunday evening and eat at Just Grillin, Surfside or Zaccios. You can always get a taxi back if you are not familiar with the area.

Wendy's rum bar/restaurant up in Fitts Village should also be open over that weekend.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
11,689 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barbados Arrival on a Sunday... holiday Monday? Food ideas

If you adopt Babiface's suggestion of having dinner at Just Grillin in Holetown - walk north a bit (just beyond the Supercentre mall) and you will see a gas station (petrol station "Rubis)" - and you could pick up the grocery basics there - then get a taxi back from the Supercentre to Fitts Village

Edited: 20 April 2014, 13:03
Vancouver Island...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Barbados Arrival on a Sunday... holiday Monday? Food ideas

Great ideas, thanks! Are those dinner suggestions fairly family friendly? We'll be travelling with two small children.

Also, I know about Il Tempio in Fitts Village, are there any other places to eat within walking distance?

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
11,689 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barbados Arrival on a Sunday... holiday Monday? Food ideas

Just Grillin is very family friendly - so is Zaccios (small kids can play on the beach in front of restaurant while you can sit and dine on the balcony etc.) - or there is Surfside Beach-bar has a steel band on Sun. night - next to Zaccio - both of those are across the road from Rubis gas station - also in the Chattel village - near Just Grillin is Cafe Carizma - Holetown has a lot of choice for eating - also deli section of Supercentre is good for take out - and there is a great "take out" store called PoshNosh behind Rubis - (won;t be open until 10 am Tues. - but a great idea for "cook;s" night off at home !)

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barbados Arrival on a Sunday... holiday Monday? Food ideas

In Fitts Village you only have Il Tempio restaurant and Wendys Bar.

Seeing as you have 2 small children with you then you would really benefit from hiring a car for your convenience of getting out and about to different restaurants etc.

If you are thinking of cooking a lot indoors then maybe you wouldn't need a car so much.

It is only a 10 minute journey on the bus in to Holetown.

The restaurants that I mentioned are all very family friendly and casual. Zaccios does have a really good kids menu.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,419 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barbados Arrival on a Sunday... holiday Monday? Food ideas

Surfside also has a good children's menu and of course children ( and adults ) LOVE to dance to the Steel Band on a Sunday night, no matter how young they are. They would love it, and the band starts pretty early, so before they will want to sleep hopefully.

Vancouver Island...
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Barbados Arrival on a Sunday... holiday Monday? Food ideas

Sounds good. Just looking for a few places to get us sorted out in the beginning. We plan on cooking in most of our meals, but will probably look into hiring a car for part of our stay. Thanks for the input.

Essex
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barbados Arrival on a Sunday... holiday Monday? Food ideas

I would definitely recommend eating at Surfside on Sunday. The setting, relaxed atmosphere and music are a great way to start your holiday. There were always families there with children of all ages and it was the perfect first night location to keep us from falling asleep too early!

Donna