We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Customs, laws, and all things unique to Barbados.

Ballina, Ireland
Level Contributor
639 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Customs, laws, and all things unique to Barbados.

I am as you know doing a lot of research on Barbados, I find asking questions here where there are some locals posting, is a faster way to get answers.

Every country has little things that tourists may not be aware of, perhaps there are things we should do or say to show we care for the locals attitude. ( I can't explain myself well).

On laws for example, I see there is NO drink driving limit, is that true? are there other laws that are unique to Barbados?

I suppose what I am trying to ask is all about customs , ways of life etc.

31. Re: Customs, laws, and all things unique to Barbados.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 May 2014, 19:05
Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,784 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Customs, laws, and all things unique to Barbados.

One custom I have noticed that I haven't seen elsewhere (except Grenada) is that in the morning almost everyone acknowledges you and says good morning even the teenage kids. We certainly don't see that at home. At first we were not used to it but after a day or two it became second nature.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Customs, laws, and all things unique to Barbados.

Come and live in my town in the UK everyone passes the time of day with you, in a way it's a lot like Barbados only the cops don't drink whilst on duty.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,055 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Customs, laws, and all things unique to Barbados.

see post #3 - maybe the cops drinking in the Piano Bar at 1am were off duty?

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
35. Re: Customs, laws, and all things unique to Barbados.

Sank a few rums then drove off! No excuse ASO

Ballina, Ireland
Level Contributor
639 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Customs, laws, and all things unique to Barbados.

Sounds like where I live, and yea until about ten or fifteen years ago a policeman in uniform would enter a pub and have a pint, ( altough whether he was on duty or not is up for debate) I think because it is rural we had little things happen that wouldn't happen in city areas. ( due to there being sod all crime and police were there for signing forms and complaining about neighbours) Life has gotten busier though and like in the uk it wouldn't be tolerated anymore. Anyway that is not the reason for the post. xbit was saying it was funny that is all , and strange for people to see, I don't think at any point anyone was being overly critical.

I love the idea of good mornings, good afternoon and good evenings from the locals. I won't feel so weird there, because it is a matter of course for us to greet people on the street when we meet, and I get such odd lucks when I travel to London or places like that, as I say hello to complete strangers, mind you 99% of the time after the odd luck, I get a greeting in return. We also wave at complete strangers while driving, lol.

I love the idea of horn tooting, and will certainly enter the spirit of that, .

Ballina, Ireland
Level Contributor
639 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Customs, laws, and all things unique to Barbados.

Jane E if they were off duty, and had a few rums, then drove off , there is no law stating how many rums they can have , so they didn't do anything wrong, ( by their law) so that would be their excuse. I know that some police forces allow employees to bring their squad car home so even if they jumped into that, and drove off , one still couldn't be quite sure they were on Duty.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
38. Re: Customs, laws, and all things unique to Barbados.

Excuse me biddy pat but if anyone is driving one rum is one rum too many regardless of your occupation. My nephew was murdered by a drink driver aged 27, the fact that he was just over the legal limit did not ease our pain.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,055 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Customs, laws, and all things unique to Barbados.

yes Biddypat they do - can't think that it would be "de rigeur" for them to strip off uniforms in the car and go into the bar in just boxers! ;o

BTW - Bajan bus drivers are allowed to take their buses home too - once followed one all the way to his chattel house in a cane field thinking erroneously he would be heading for the main road (we were lost).... kind driver arrived home - asked why we were following him - got back in his bus and guided us back to the main road - nice guy!

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Customs, laws, and all things unique to Barbados.

I agree with everything LMR said .... And back to the topic in hand .... probably not unique to Barbados but there are things I see and hear there that I don't see in Sheffield these days (or ever). Old ladies in their Sunday best hats going to Church. Old men (and young ones) clicking dominoes outside of a rum shack. Friday Lime. Saturday Lime. Two tone car horns (sadly illegal in the UK) .