We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Barbados and three main concerns

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Barbados and three main concerns

Hi all. I am thinking of holidaying in Barbados in mid June at the Sea Breeze and have three concerns which I hope you can help me with,

1. As June is out of main season will there still be plenty to do.

2. How good / bad is the wether likely to be, if it rains will it be short sharp showers

3. How bad are the mozzies at that time of year

Thanks

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Barbados and three main concerns

1. Whilst June is out with 'main' holiday period, it is probably better as the island is not as busy and that makes it easier to get bookings at the main restaurants, car hire etc.

2. The weather will be great. Ignore weather forecasts as they always say it will rain. You can never guarantee rain free days but as you say most likely scenario is short sharp showers. We always go in July which should be worse and we have never had bad weather.

3. Mozzies. You get them all the year round but they are more prevalent in the rainy season which technically starts in June but as previously said not an issue. A lot depends which part of the Island you choose to stay. West will probably have more than East or South which are more affected by the prevailing winds. As long as you remember to put on a deet spray you will be ok.

hampshire
Level Contributor
59 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Barbados and three main concerns

We were there last June.

There was still plenty to do, saw a few closed restaurants but in the main everything was open.

We were there the third week in June, we had one day that we had heavy rain from around 11am and it rained until bedtime on and off pretty heavily. We were told the previous week had been showery.

We stayed in a room overlooking the beach and didn't get bitten, but people who were staying in our hotel in the garden rooms did. Either wear skin so soft or a deet repellant and you should be okay.

Lancz
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Barbados and three main concerns

June is a great time to go, don't worry, weather will be great, with some possibility of the odd shower somewhere on the island. There will be more than enough for you to see and do however long you are staying for all over the island.it's slightly quieter as just out of main season..which can make it easier for meal reservations in some restaurants to suit you.

Mozzies are dependant on how wet it is, but provided you use a DEET based spray in the evenings you should be ok. Fogging does take place around the island quite regularly if there are mozzies around which does help.

Being off main season should help with flight pricing as well.

Lancz
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Barbados and three main concerns

Looks like we are all singing off the same hymn sheet at the same time folks !!!!!

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,860 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Barbados and three main concerns

Remember - the Aedes Agypti mosquito can bite in the daytime too - (that's the one that can carry dengue) have a super time Enjoy

Keighley, UK
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Barbados and three main concerns

I've been at many times from May onwards. The worst I've had was one day of solid cloud and rain, the rest of the time you might get a daily heavy downpour, but it always clears up after and freshens the place up.

You'll get so much sun, you'll be happy for the odd downpour!

Miami Beach, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Barbados and three main concerns

Love it here!!

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Barbados and three main concerns

Thank you all for your replies. hoping to book today

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
293 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in Barbados and three main concerns

I have been to barbados 6 times. It is a delightful island, with friendly well-educatied people.

There is always lots to do in Barbados, as it has a wonderful culture and many music venues.

It is the hurricane season, but Barbados rarely experiences hurricanes, because of its easterly location.

don't know about the mosquito situation. We've never had a problem.

make sure you have dinner at CinCin on the west side of the island-superb. Make reservations well in advance and ask for a table outside-quite dressy.

Great shopping in Holetown. See my review of Beachview 2012.

Have fun.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,860 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time in Barbados and three main concerns

Just to add to post #9 - when booking table at Cin Cin and booking well in advance - do ask for a "railside" table - not just one outside!